HybridZ

Install Digital Dash Information

BAlford

I along with a vew other brave (or demented) individuals ar installing digital dashes in our cars. Please post any problems or solutions here.

I have a 1982 280ZX with a 1983 wiring harness including the digital dash. According to the manuals that I have there is a resistor between the tach head and the distributor.

If so where is the resistor located and will I have to change the resistor. The JTR manual says that I will need a 15K ohm resistor form radio shack. Will that resistor be the correct one for the digital tach? Do I just replace the original resistor with the 15K ohm and where is the original resistor located in the car?

I messed up something in the speedometer. Don't do this, I connected a stock GM speedo cable to the short cable in the dash of my Zcar. It connected great. However, the plastic sleave inside the end of the short Zcar cable was too long and put a bind in the cables. When we first drove the car the mph bounced around by about 15 mph. After about two miles the speedo read "0". I have not pulled out the meter cluster to see what broke yet.

I have bought a digital dash from someone in Califorina and also bought another on Ebay.

Update, we pulled out the digital cluster and disassembled it. There is a slotted disk on the end of the speedo cable inside the cluster. It seems to work the same way a computer mouse works. Some type light emmitter, that is mounted in a "U" shapped plastic mount, light through the slots of the disk as they spin to a device that reads how fast the disk is turning. The disk is rubbing on one side of the plastic. There is no way of telling how long it has been rubbing.

I see no way that the speedo quit because the cable was sticking, coming loose and spinning too fast to catch up. Nor can I see how the sticking cable could have caused the rubbing.

We do have another cluster and will install it this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Have not had time to work on installing the new digital dash cluster yet. The old one is out and we plan to go inside the dash and cut all of the wires going to the cluster and add about 18" of wire to each. We will solder each connection and put srink wrap on each connection.

The reason we are doing this is so we can try to adjust the pots on the back of the cluster. The tempature gage is registering too hot, we hav an after market gage hooked up also. We also want to try to adjust the tach. We have not hooked it up yet.

Anyone have any suggestions please post here or e-mail us at: waskomtexas@waskomtexas.com

• 3 weeks later...

We got everything back in the car and drove it about 150 miles. The tach

shows about 3000 rpm when the after market tach shows 2000 rpm. The temp

gage is still off also. We bought two, I think they are called

"potemeometers" or they call them "pots". They adjust from "0" to "50"

ohems. We have not tried them yet.

I have studied the wiring digrams also. The wire that goes from the tach is

light green with a white tracer, I think that it goes to the resistor,

changes to blue and goes to the dist. This will not matter if the "pot"

works.

We hope that the "pot" will work on the temp gage also.