HybridZ

converting to efi, gonna run mega squirt have some questions

Hey everyone got a few questions for you guys, i have a 240z 1973 with a l28 swap in it running on stock su carbs, i have a turbo swap that im slowly building on the side. I want to take the su carbs out of my current engine and switch the car to efi i have my custom n42 manifold with a 60mm tb that is for my future turbo set up, i know i will need injectors electric fuel pump and im assuming the distributer? to switch it over please tell me if im missing anything, i will be using megasquirt as far as harness and ecu, i wanted to wire it all up and put it to use for now so i can run my motor on nitrous and tune it safely, until im ready to put in my new swap, so will i have to wire things up alot different for the n/a setup on megasquirt (reffering to the cars harness) and if so let me know what all would have to be done to see if its worth it, any info will help

Thanks

• Administrators
Hey everyone got a few questions for you guys, i have a 240z 1973 with a l28 swap in it running on stock su carbs, i have a turbo swap that im slowly building on the side. I want to take the su carbs out of my current engine and switch the car to efi i have my custom n42 manifold with a 60mm tb that is for my future turbo set up, i know i will need injectors electric fuel pump and im assuming the distributer? to switch it over please tell me if im missing anything, i will be using megasquirt as far as harness and ecu, i wanted to wire it all up and put it to use for now so i can run my motor on nitrous and tune it safely, until im ready to put in my new swap, so will i have to wire things up alot different for the n/a setup on megasquirt (reffering to the cars harness) and if so let me know what all would have to be done to see if its worth it, any info will help

Thanks

1) Distributor. With Megasquirt, you have the option of retaining the dizzy or doing away with it and going distributor-less ignition such as the EDSI-6 system or individual coils such as the GM LSx coils, etc. Retaining the dizzy is the simplest route, EDIS-6 adds a little more complexity to the project incorporating a crank trigger wheel, individual coils adds bit more to MS set up as well as the crank trigger. This thread covers the EDIS-6 installation;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103781

This thread covers GM LSx coils;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120533

2) N/A complexity vs Boosted. As far as the "cars" wiring goes, shouldn’t be much different Carb, N/A EFI and Boosted EFI. What would change that is how much integration of the EFI wiring you want to combine with the cars electrical system. These older cars, the EFI can be essentially stand alone, no need to integrate with any of the cars other electrical systems. I prefer to keep the Engine management as separate from the cars systems as possible! As for EFI wiring/configuration, N/A vs Turbo, lots of variables that will influence that. Yes Turbo is generally more complex regarding the Engine management system and depending on how many of the available bells and whistles you want to utilize that Mega Squirt has to offer for boosted applications, that will dictate how much more complex the installation and configuration will be.

Hope that helps,

Paul

I built a Megasquit systems using EDIS 4 on a CA18DET for a customer. Worked out great. The EDIS system is really simple once you figure it out. It was my first Megasquirt build and I had relatively few problems.

I do not know much about the GM set-up, so I can not say much about it.

Guest Rolling Parts
...so will i have to wire things up alot different for the n/a setup on megasquirt (reffering to the cars harness) and if so let me know what all would have to be done to see if its worth it, any info will help

Thanks

No, the real difference in Megasquirt between N/A and Turbo are realy in the software (the engine maps entered into Megasquirt). Wiring for the EFI is the same.

The only tricky bit as mentioned is the dizzy. On all N/A engines the dizzy is basically self-contained and handles all the spark advance/retard itself. The Turbo engines dizzy has no internal mechanism for that because the control was driven by the Nissan Turbo ECU. The MSII (or MSnE) will control spark curves.

You "can" run a modified NA dizzy by blocking off the mechanical advance. Most probably run a Nissan Turbo dizzy (with it's special oil pump spindle) that allows real control. The Ford Explorer EDIS distributor-less approach is fine if you don't mind fabricating some sort of trigger wheel on the crank pulley and some kind of sensor mount.

Sounds like a good approach to do it in stages.

Oh, you'll also need an EFI gas tank with internal baffling (or make a surge tank) so you don't run out of fuel pressure in a turn...

okay so if i have a turbo distributer with the spindle that should work? and the gas tank i wasn't aware of that so i need to run a 280z gas tank? and as of the megasquirt all the engine harness should be the same from when im allmotor to when i go on boost its just gonna vary in the maps that i do in the ecu when tunning comes? I'm asking all these questions on here because i've only owned one z before this one and it was a 78 280z and already had the turbo swap in it, so coming from always working on efi cars like hondas 240sx's and my brothers z31's this early z is all new to me it sucks starting from scratch again but atleast i can count on good info here

Guest Rolling Parts

Yes, turbo dizzy & shaft will work fine (though EDIS is $70 on eBay and $109 at http://www.boostengineering.net/product_p/edis6kit.htm is a stable option).

I used a 1975 gas tank (the 1st Z with EFI) but it took some work to adapt. If I had to do it again I'd just leave the original tank in and use a very big filter before the pump and call it good. All you really need i ssomething so the pump won'y cavitate when the fuel sloshes in a turn. The '75 EFI tank and later had internal baffles...