HybridZ

Autometer electric speedometer

I am getting close to completing the wiring of the whole car. I have searched here, LS1tech and googled but I am finding different scenarios and answers that are not clear and precise. This is what I have, 1. Autometer Electric speedometer #4489 with a "Sig" and "Out" connections. 2. Speartech harness with a white wire to connect to speedometer. 3. 2002 Pontiac WS6 Trans Am PCM 4. Automatic 4L60E transmission.

To connect PCM to speedometer, I have read:

1. Connect white wire from PCM to Autometer speedo at "Sig" connection. (Do this only)

or

2. Tap the VSS wire purple coming from the PCM to Transmission and connect this wire to the "OUT" connection. Also, connect white wire from PCM to "Sig" connection.

There is "NOTE" on my insturctions "The speedometer provides an output (OUT) terminal that can be used with late model vehicle installations using the existing Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). In these installations, the VSS signal wire should be connected to the SIG terminal of the speedometer only. The OUT terminal should then be connected to where the VSS output was orignally wired. This will provide a buffered VSS signal to the PCM/computer in the vehicle." WHAT??

I read some other ways of connecting the speedo with some cutting and splicing, but the info was not clear. So those with Autometer electric speedometers, and /or Speartech harness, how did you make your connections.

Thanks, Glenn