HybridZ

Q45 LSD R200? Worth it?

240zBoy

I can pick up an r200 lsd out of a q45 for a $200 and have been searching to see if it is do able or worth it and came up with very little information to what I need. I am going to be running about 300 horsepower out of a chevy 350 most likely attached to a borg warner t-5 and I figured I need an r200 while I am at the suspension. Is it worth the trouble of having to modify this diff much more than say a 280z r200. Also I heard the gear ratio is around 3.5 and with a 5 speed i believe the high rpm's problem on the highway would not matter? Please help me out. If you were in my shoes what would you do?

I can pick up an r200 lsd out of a q45 for a $200 and have been searching to see if it is do able or worth it and came up with very little information to what I need. I am going to be running about 300 horsepower out of a chevy 350 most likely attached to a borg warner t-5 and I figured I need an r200 while I am at the suspension. Is it worth the trouble of having to modify this diff much more than say a 280z r200. Also I heard the gear ratio is around 3.5 and with a 5 speed i believe the high rpm's problem on the highway would not matter? Please help me out. If you were in my shoes what would you do?

$200 from a yard is kinda steep, but from a private seller it would be a good deal.

As far as the diff goes, it doesn't really matter much as you can take your Q45 carrier and put it inside your long nose R200 case. I have done it. You would have to have custom half shafts made. This would eliminate the need to use custom this that and the other thing to mount it up. Again, all you would need is custom half shafts. But you would need that anyways. Since you can swap the carrier into the case, obviously you would need the ring gear off of your 280zx, that way it works with the long nose pinion gear.

Now on the power rating... 300whp is nothing for any of the R200's to handle. There is a guy who has an open diff, two pinion, from a N/A 86 300zx making 700whp. Hasn't broken it.

As for the gearing. 3.5 is not high at all. That would be great cruising on the highway with that ratio. However, I don't know if that is the actual ratio or not, so I am just taking your word, but it sound about right. But none of that matters if you are putting that carrier into your case, as you would be running the 280zx ratio's anyways.

If you wanted to bolt up the entire Q45 case and everything, then that is a different story, and you will need more parts than what you pull off of the Q45.