HybridZ

Prices Rant. Light covers

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just wanted to hear peoples thought's on a few thing's, Recently I wanted to treat my self with something improving my car rather than having to buy stuff to replace internal / interior devices and Weatherstripping .. I got my 2002 vic brit catalog today and i decided to get my self those neat light covers... Could someone explain to me how a machine that can mold TON's of different thing's and the mold print prolly only cost like 500 dollars, Can you charge 59 dollars for 1 clear peice of plastic.. Does anyone understand this? .. Weatherstripping 60+ dollars for 1? It's a damn peice of rubber foam. Maybe I am being ignorant but 49-59 dollars for 1 peice of plastic seem's a bit much ..

Brian.

It's the initial tooling costs that drive the price up. A tool or mold that can heat form those headlight covers might cost $10,000 and of course their is a left and right tool. If the manufacturer is making $20.00 per pair then they need to sell a 1000 pairs to pay for the tools. Only then do they start to make money.

Glad to have another Orlando guy on the board. I've seen your turbo posts and we have two locals running turbo setups. ScottieGNZ is running a Buick Grand National motor and ZGad is running a 3.1 stroker turbo. Scottie frequents the drag strip on Wednesday nights, have to get you out there some time. He had an L28ET before the Buick motor and is a wealth of knowledge. I will email you next time I know we are going out.

Guest Anonymous

neat =D Ya it just appears 49 dollars for one peice of plastic is a little insane . i cannot imagine the molding being 10k though .. i mean those thing's arent very complex =/ .

And we will have to meet up at the track sometime plus i wanna see what my car can do =D

Guest Anonymous

I'm not defending why prices are so high, but I know a bit about what it cost have dies and punches made, and let me tell you it ain't cheap.

We had one die that was 10,000.00 and all it did was punch a stupid hole in 16ga metal. To sharpen them was nearly 2 grand and that meant boxing and shipping it back there to do. Die makers charge you a fortune for they're services and rightly so, he only gets to hit you one time for the cost, you get paid back everytime you use the die/mold. Also the time it takes to make the prototype to build the mold/die with.

At any rate, they probably vacu-form the part like RC car bodies, flat sheet of plastic put into the mold, its heated, a vacuum drawn to suck it into the mold and voila. $50.00.... This is one of those instances when I think its worth it to just buy them.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

I think I have a pair of those headlight covers I have never used. Mine are tinted and require a small hole drilled in the headlight bucket. Mark