HybridZ

nv3500 Tans

stairs240z

I have searched this forum and have not been able to find an answer. Has anyone ever used or is using a nv3500 trans. I have a 280z with a 350ci and a saginaw trans. I want to get a trans with overdrive and was thinking about using the nv 3500. Will this work or am i going in too far? Also where would the shifter be? Any help is good help, thanks.:icon5:

It's funny that you post this, i was looking into the 3500 and 4500 today because i'm hoping to switch my turbo setup to a v8 and wanted an alternative to a t5. the 3500 seems like a good unit. it's relatively light, strong enough, but i have the feeling someone will have to get their hands on one and do some measurements to see if it will work out for the z.

i wouldn't mind running a 3500, but for the time being i think we just have to start hitting up google and do some good ol' fashioned research.

These are truck transmissions. They shift fine for a truck. I have a 4500 in my Land Rover conversion. It would holy suck in a car if you could fit it which you can't as these things are huge! A T5 or 700R4 would be fine for a L6 or V8 car. You could build a 700hp engine but if you can't put the power down as traction what possible reason would you want it? Peeling rubber off expensive tires to please a crowd of teens and young adults doesn't count.

I've got a NV4500 in one of my trucks, and first gear (6.34:1) is unusable unless you're climbing something pretty steep. Hitting 5K rpm in reverse at 7 mph is always fun too.

Even the higher 4.02:1 first gear of the NV3500 is pretty deep for a car (depending on its use).

Like ezzzzzz said, they're truck transmissions. Nigh indestructible as long a you're using the correct fluid and it is circulating like it's supposed to.