HybridZ

Borge warner t5 grating going into reverse

Hello there i have a 240z with a 327 chevy v8 connected to a borge warner t5 gearbox with a hydraulic clutch. My problem is it has always grated going into reverse, in the forward gears it is fine. If i switch the engine of before puting it into reverse this obviously stops it grating, but would like to sort this out so i can put the car in reverse with the engine running. Ive tried bleeding the clutch system and it did not help, the engine revs are normal, is this gearbox not suitable for an hydraulic clutch, or is there a way to get extra clutch travel, it has a chevy clutch master cylinder so do not think this is the fault. I was wondering if the hydraulic hose to the clutch is expanding and requires changing to a braided metal hose. I would appreciate any advice on this

Sounds like the clutch is not completely disengaging. I had this problem with the first clutch master cylinder I tried using. It was a 3/4". I switched to a 7/8" and that solved the problem.

I understand you're using the GM master but you may not be getting enough travel in the pedal or, like you said, the line is expanding under pressure. Depending on your hose ends, obtaining a steel braided line may,or may not, be so easy. Even if you do need to swap master cylinders I'd recommend using a steel braided line. Just like brake hoses, it will give the pedal a more responsive feel.