HybridZ

Need suggestions on fixing hatch rust damage

SoCalJack

I need some ideas about how to fix the hatch of my Z. Its a 72 240, and this is the only really bad spot. I would like to fix it myself (I bought the car so I could learn how to work on it...) but I dont think that I possess the necessary skills to do so.

How would you guys fix this? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hatchdamage2.jpg

hatchdamage1.jpg

Guest Gr8White

You have to cut it out and form a patch panel, weld it back in. Don't try any hokey fixes like fiberglass, etc....

Better check some other areas such as rocker panels, battery tray. These cars take to rust like a fat man on a Twinkie. Do a search for "rust repair" and you'll get 1000 hits...These cars all rust in the same areas and if you have rust here you can bet it's elsewhere. A search will get you the info for places to look...

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/30-7291

That is the one you are looking for.

Be advised, this panel is spot welded on to a sort of shelf that it originally just sits on... creating a gap with two pieces of metal with a few spot welds, and a great spot for rust to take hold. If that panel is rusted, you might look inside and see if it has also started to come through into the interior underneath, and you'll need to fab up some sheet metal to weld in its place.