HybridZ

DIY Window trim repair

As I'm sure all of you do when you get the big jobs done you start on the small ones. I've been wanting to replace the window molding seals on my 77 280z because the felt on the inside of the rubber weather seal has worn off in some places. The chrome exterior is in great shape and I didn't want to pay $50 each that BD charges. I found a 3/4" felt tape that I thought I would try. Turns out it worked great, see pics. Took me about 15 minutes per window to remove to old felt and apply the new. I used a putty knife to carefully scrap off the felt, cleaned the rubber with denatured alcohol and then carefully apply the tape. The tape (of course) has an adhesive back that holds extremely well. One of my concerns was that the tape might be too thick, its not. It 38 mils thick which just a hair over 1/32".

If anyone wants to do this I have the tape. I had to buy a roll of 65', way more than I need. I'll sell you enough to do both windows for $3 plus shipping, which shouldn't be too much as there hardly any weight.

DSC00714_thumb.JPG

DSC00715_thumb.JPG

DSC00716_thumb.JPG

DSC00717_thumb.JPG

DSC00718_thumb.JPG