HybridZ

tranny problem, ideas?

turbeau

on my way to JCCS the tranny gave out. the throw out bearing was already whining and i thought i could make it. at about 80 mph the sound got louder then a bang happened inside the tranny and it stopped working. i got towed home.

i looked under the car and the speed senson had fallen off and all the manual transmission fluid was gone. i filled it up and tried to run the car. the motor is fine but there was really loud grinding when the clutch was released. the noise came from the clutch end of the transmission. i moved the car back and forth in the driveway with 1st gear and reverse. the grinding noise was too loud so i stopped and took the transmission off. i could not find any damage or signs of wear. the pressure plate, disk and flywheel look fine. the throwout bearing looks fine and spins like normal. i dont know what the problem could be, any ideas?

also, on the magntetic drain plug for the tranny there was a bunch of thin black shavings that felt like plastic, they were not metal.

time for a complete tear down and rebuild.if you run the trans low on fluid it takes out the countershaft bearings.you can tell by running in 4th noise gets less.or goto pick

&pull and take your chances on a used trans.my pick is the 82/83 na trans-but the ratios my not fit your needs