HybridZ

How Much for Engine/Tranny

Guest thinkmonkey

Guest thinkmonkey

Here's a message regarding an engine and transmission for sale, what do you guys think is a fair price for it?

"

Alright, it's nice to have someone nearby interested. I bought my 73 in February and I yanked the engine earlier this month. Here's the skinny on the engine and tranny.

It's a Nissan Rebuilt L28 block, and it came with Nissan rebuild info. The block is an F54 which was used on the '81-83 280ZX and has flattop/dished pistons and extra webbing. It has an N47 head with round exhaust ports hooked up to 6-2 headers. The header has a leak on the top #3 cylinder I think it is. It is carbureted with 70-72 dome top SU's, not the crappy square tops sold in 73. The exhaust gas recirculation assembly (air galley, smog pump, etc) and all other emissions equipment have been removed, although the owner claimed it still passed emissions. The ignition has been converted to electronic, and it has new spark plugs and wires. The plugs tend to build up carbon because right now it runs rich, which will remedy itself when you sync the carburetors (I'll include the sync tool). I suspect this is because the previous owner lived higher and ran it richer to compensate. The fan is a viscous clutch type. The carbs still require a choke for cold start, and I have the choke lever assembly for you. The cams are absolutely spotless, and I suspect the previous owners claim of 11,000 miles is true. It starts without a puff of smoke or hesitation, even cold, and doesn't backfire. I changed the oil about 75 miles ago.

The engine is hooked to a 5 speed transmission from a 280zx, but which one it is I am not sure. Check out http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2824/engine.html for some info on the tranny, because there were three produced. I suspect it was made between 81-83 and is the close ratio version, so I'm trying to find out. On the right side it is stamped with "L1" but I can't find the origin. I changed the tranny fluid and got no filings (or sawdust). Shifting is a breeze with the clutch, and the gate is easy to go through with a medium to short throw.

"

sounds like a good strong motor, how much is he asking? if he has nissan paperwork that motor is worth some serious bread, run the numbers to see if they match up right, and grab that combo before someone beats you to it, sounds like its worth at least 1000.00