HybridZ

motor selection?? in planning still

Guest axtellz

Guest axtellz

Hello all,

Still in the planning (dreaming) stage, but would like input from those more wise than i. Have a 73, just finished suspension rebuild, & bodywork/paint are schedules for september. I plan a JTR v8 in about 2 yrs.

Car will be just a fun drive in NY summer weather...no racing or autocros whatever. I'm thinking 250HP is plenty for me, maybe 300...just enough for a bit more umphh from my baby.

I may have access to 3 or 4 motors from a family member- all are pickup trucks from 68 to 79,three are 350's one 289 i think. I'd like to cheap out as much as i may, without screwing myself by the same token. Anyone with any ideas yet? Anymore info i can provide to nail down more specific applications? Thanks all, Jeremiah

Might look into the 99 and newer GM 5.4 L LS1's cast iron blocks and alum. heads. Should be a fair supply of wreaked trucks in a couple more years. I think these motor make about 270 HP, and they uses the 4l60E auto trans. If you could fine one to salvage it would make a great little car. A 73 in Texas needs pass a safty inspection only, and does not need any smog stuff. JTR bought the pic's of my LS1 conversion and suspect they will be bring out a LS1 conversion kit in the forseable future. Good luck with you project, and keep studing, and learning from the others on this site.

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: Lone Star 1 ]

Axarph,

Well, what are you doing way up there in NY; what's happening.

If you're planning on building a mild V8; 300hp or 350 should be as easy as falling of a log.

Keep Comp.Ratio around 9.2:1 & your camshaft Intake Valve Closing @ 60* ABDC or less & Advertised Duration around 260 to 270 w/lift no more than .480" or .490" & you will have an idle that is slightly different than stock (definately noticeable) but still able to idle around the 700rpm range & ran quite easy on pump gas.

The dream stage is a good stage-doesnt cost anything but time! Keep dreaming & read (memorize) the JTR manual/& ask a question any time you're not sure about something.

I too am in the dream stage-I'ld like to eventually have @ 400FWHP if/when I get to build mine & shifting the T-56...one of these days maybe.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

If you have access to some motors, great! Make sure the one you pick has a 4 barrel carb originally. Then you can get a mild performance cam and maybe and aluminum intake manifold, some block huggers, and you are there man. You'll have a fun, reliable motor with some good bolt-ons for your ride. Good to plan. Make sure you get the JTR book while you dream--it points you in the right direction. icon_smile.gif

Have fun,

Davy

Guest axtellz

Man, just when i think i come to a decision- more decisions!!! I had thought an older motor with the 4 barrel was a lock. I like simplicity & the lack of computers in my car.

However, lone's LS1 idea is sounding quite appealing! Damn! Guess i'll just have to hang around here awhile longer & do some thinkin.... Thanks all, Jeremiah