HybridZ

HELP!! 280ZX leaking Anti-freeze into the foot area.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just bought this 81 280zx 5speed. My bro turned the Cooling system on (was on hot) to cold air. I didn't know he changed it, and I started the car and when pressed on the gas, anti-freeze came spilling out of the middle bottom of the dash behind the Heating/Cooling controls into the left and right seat's foot areas. :confused:

I was like, what the hell, so I pulled out the radio/tapeplayer and the air condition/heater faceplate and found this metal part with a spring on it that had two rubber tubes coming into it, the anti-freeze seemed to be leaking out of there.

I figured out that the heater setting had been changed and changed it back, it reduced the leaking by quite a bit, but it still trinkled some anti-freeze down.

What is this part, and how do I fix it without spilling antifreeze everywhere? eek2.gif

Please help... thanks.

Guest Anonymous

Welcome Zell and welcome to the joys of a used Z. The two hoses are your inlet and outlet for the heater. Most likely you have a bad or loose connection around the hoses and inlet and outlet pipes. When the heater was turned on the hot fluid just aggravated the existing problem of either brittle split hoses or loose clamps. Check the hoses for wear and splitting, Replace the hose clamps and the hoses also if needed. If this does not solve the problem your heater core has a leak (Not too likely). This is quite common in recently purchased cars. Drain about 1/2 gallon out of the radiator and be prepared to sop up the leaking coolant from the floorboard when you inspect the hoses (and most likely replace them).

Actually that thing you were looking at was the thermostat valve that controls the amount of coolant flowing into the heater core. Check the connections and the heater core, but it is very common for the thermo valves to leak. And they only leak when turned on. When the heat is off they backseat some how.

When mine went bad, I can't remember if I had to replace it or if I managed to fix it some how.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Tomahawk :D

I'll check out those pipes. The guy that sold me the car must have been so worried that I would try to turn on the AC tongue.gif

He was lucky I didn't, otherwise I would have made him go even lower on the price. cuss.gif