HybridZ

Fuel line sizing

Guest Anonymous

I'd probably get a gauge to find out, but I wouldn't be surprised if its not getting enough fuel pressure at higher RPM. For a carb motor unless its got huge dominator carbs or a really hot engine or something the stock line seems adequate. (GM didn't use anything larger for its big blocks after all). For fuel injection, I'd be a bit skeptical. Probably want more like -8 or something to really supply it. Another method is to just use a surge tank under the hood, with a small electric pump to supply the surge tank and then a high capacity one to feed the engine from the surge tank. If you don't plan on replacing the fuel tank and lines, that might be a easier option for you plus it ensures it'll have fuel all the time. Heres a picture of the deal off SDS's website:

fuelsys.gif

Regards,

Lone(hdrider icon_smile.gif )

Hey Lone that diagram is real close to the way my fuel system is set up but all those components are mounted in the back by the gas tank. Don't you think that with fuel being sent through the stock Z fuel line at 58 PSI that more fuel could be delievered to the motor than say at 6 PSI like a lot of the carb'ed V8's that use the stock Z fuel line?I have just been worried that I'm not getting all the HP I can. icon_confused.gif

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Lone Star 1 ]

Higher pressure doesn't always mean higher volume - at least in the discussions I've seen in various mags. A smaller line will also beat up the pump more. I'd suggest going to a -8 braided line and maybe using the stock line for a return. Do NOT go bigger than -8, I ran -10 on the Mustang and found that it's a PITA getting the line to fill and pressure up for a start after it's been sitting. -10 has too much volume...

[ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]