HybridZ

350-to-383 Stroker

Looking at possibly picking up a 91 5.7 350 with a low 250 hp. THis pricing is right as it comes with all accessories, TPI, wiring harness, ECU. I would like to take this mil and push it out to a 383 stroker at about 400 hp, however, before I do I have some questions.

1- can this block take it, ps original with 88k

2- I plan to put twisted wedge heads that I have, and a crane came from my other mil that is dead.

3- How much will the parts cost and what type

4. projected machine cost.

:burnout:

1. Block can handle 500hp with no special mods

2. Good choice as long as the cam matches

3. Depends on how you go. Eagle 5.7 sir rods either pressed or bushed are probably better then redoing stock rods. Pistons you can go either hyper's or forged. Probably ought to get new valve springs, probably looking at about $1000 in engine parts. 383 crank is $175, hypers $250, rods $200, springs $75, t-chain, steel sleeve oil pump shaft $20, gaskets $90, there is more.

4. Depends on what you do. Here you can get balanced, decked, align honed, bored, honed, cam bearings and freeze plugs installed and your heads done for $1000.

By the time you buy hoses, starter, water pump, wires, oil, oil filters, fuel filter, plugs, tstat, etc, etc. Your probably looking at about another $600.

My guess is that you'll have about $2600 in the whole thing

Great info.. Thank you VERY much....:burnout: I did make a mistake though, the mil is a 1988 350, from a GTA pontiac.

I have 1 gen II 350 with; TFS Twisted Wedge alluminum heads, keith black flat top hypereutectic pistons, crane Powermax #114142 (216,228@.050-112 LSA), Summit aluminum roller rockers.. which I hope to transfer over. I am not however, sure, if I should try to bring the cam and pistons over or if I should just go to a new set.. Yes this does mean that I am on the fence as to if I waant to go 383 and all the $$ or just bring over some good high quality...or so I think, parts and do a rebuild of the newer 88 gen III mil. What really is driving me batty is that I can't find a machine shop to do the work, and most importantly I have an idea of the refresh cost on the block, heads, cam (??) and pistons (??). The old mil was rated at 350 hp, so I need to fingure out what I need to do without spending lots of $$ bring it to the 400 hp goal.. p.s. I am not a big NOS fan..

HZ Ryder: The Gen II blocks are either LT-1 or LT-4 generation. The LT-1 and LT-4 have different block and head water passages. Their should be some good engine machine shops in the New York state area. Going to a Gen III may likely cost more than staying with Gen 1 assemblies. I went with Gen 1, 383 stroker crank, 6" rods and lightweight forged pistons. Went with Solid Roller Camshaft and am going with Solid Roller Lifters.

Great info.. Thank you VERY much....:burnout: I did make a mistake though, the mil is a 1988 350, from a GTA pontiac.

I have 1 gen II 350 with; TFS Twisted Wedge alluminum heads, keith black flat top hypereutectic pistons, crane Powermax #114142 (216,228@.050-112 LSA), Summit aluminum roller rockers.. which I hope to transfer over. I am not however, sure, if I should try to bring the cam and pistons over or if I should just go to a new set.. Yes this does mean that I am on the fence as to if I waant to go 383 and all the $$ or just bring over some good high quality...or so I think, parts and do a rebuild of the newer 88 gen III mil. What really is driving me batty is that I can't find a machine shop to do the work, and most importantly I have an idea of the refresh cost on the block, heads, cam (??) and pistons (??). The old mil was rated at 350 hp, so I need to fingure out what I need to do without spending lots of $$ bring it to the 400 hp goal.. p.s. I am not a big NOS fan..

They didn't have the gen III in '88, they did have the one piece seal version of the gen 1 though.