HybridZ

L28 Engine design project

Neandertarge

Hello everyone, Im currently enrolled in a drafting class and we just started our next project, designing an engine. I thought, awesome, ill do an L28. Problem is im having trouble finding some of the engine dimensions. How tall is the piston total (from the bottom of the skirt to the top of the piston) and is the pin height measured from the top down or the bottom up? how thick is the crank? Any other dimensions any one could give we would be a great help.

P.S.- Ive already got the odd bore placement between cylinders 3 and 4.

The page itself credits where the measurements were quoted from, I believe it was the Honsowetz book but I get the titles of the 3-6 relevant Datsun books all fuddled in my memory.

My standard disclaimer when sharing that link is to insist plain and simple that no one should EVER presume parts will fit because someone said they would. ALL TOLERANCES should be checked by the person assembling the motor, even if that person has checked them before. If you don't do that, you deserve to smack your pistons into your valves the first time you fire it up, IMHO.

Like I said, thats sort of a standard disclaimer. Usually I have more context (more conversation happening than in this thread) so I can make it sound a tiny bit less dickish... but I think you'll understand I was just being clear.

The page itself credits where the measurements were quoted from, I believe it was the Honsowetz book but I get the titles of the 3-6 relevant Datsun books all fuddled in my memory.

My standard disclaimer when sharing that link is to insist plain and simple that no one should EVER presume parts will fit because someone said they would. ALL TOLERANCES should be checked by the person assembling the motor, even if that person has checked them before. If you don't do that, you deserve to smack your pistons into your valves the first time you fire it up, IMHO.

Like I said, thats sort of a standard disclaimer. Usually I have more context (more conversation happening than in this thread) so I can make it sound a tiny bit less dickish... but I think you'll understand I was just being clear.

10-4. I always check all clearances anyways, but it's kind of nice to have a reference point before I buy parts.

10-4. I always check all clearances anyways, but it's kind of nice to have a reference point before I buy parts.

I kinda figured, but I always get a nagging feeling that one of these days someone is going to take something I said and run too far with it, into a brick wall.

Somewhere in the L-series FAQ and hyperlinked/stickied commentary there will be (repeated) mentions of several books with similar titles. One of said volumes is quoted on the page with the design utility; they all sound like "how to rebuild your datsun OHC engine" and "how to hotrod and race your datsun" and there is a restoration book, and maybe half a dozen great, GREAT reference books.

Unfortunately, the titles are all so similar, as well as the general layout of the covers of many of them, that I get them all fuddled. However, that fact (and its inevitable embarassment of the cheese I call my brains) is grossly outweighed by how totally awesome, informative, and generally highly thought of these books are.

Enough has been said specifically about each that I tend to just point, and I assume those with the initiative to read them will actually follow the directions and search a bit. If you have difficulty finding them, but are still interested, let me know and I'll dredge up some links.

I kinda figured, but I always get a nagging feeling that one of these days someone is going to take something I said and run too far with it, into a brick wall.

Somewhere in the L-series FAQ and hyperlinked/stickied commentary there will be (repeated) mentions of several books with similar titles. One of said volumes is quoted on the page with the design utility; they all sound like "how to rebuild your datsun OHC engine" and "how to hotrod and race your datsun" and there is a restoration book, and maybe half a dozen great, GREAT reference books.

Unfortunately, the titles are all so similar, as well as the general layout of the covers of many of them, that I get them all fuddled. However, that fact (and its inevitable embarassment of the cheese I call my brains) is grossly outweighed by how totally awesome, informative, and generally highly thought of these books are.

Enough has been said specifically about each that I tend to just point, and I assume those with the initiative to read them will actually follow the directions and search a bit. If you have difficulty finding them, but are still interested, let me know and I'll dredge up some links.

No links required, good sir. I've just been checking out some of the basic measurements of the different Nissan motors for my own reference points. I'll buy you a beer if I ever meet you one day.