HybridZ

autometer tach hook-up

Guest Paul Felker

Guest Paul Felker

does anybody know the wires on these tachs, and how to hook it up i got the lights to go on and dim also but where do i hook the red and green to this car still has the stock ignition in it so please tell me how to hook it up please. also for a six cylinder car arnt you supposed to cut one of the loops on the back also? there are two loops on the back one brown and orange? i think those are the colors.

Guest Paul Felker

the green wire goes to the positive side of the coil correct? this car(78z) has all the stock ignition stuff in it right now, so i hook the green wire to the pos. side of the coil and the red ot a switched power source and i'm in business right. what is this i hear about the car not starting wihtout the stock tach? and what are thesr tach adaptors like the msd#8920 i hear that Some cars need? thanks for the reply!! cheers.gif

Actualy the green wire goes to NEG. coil terminal. As for the car not starting: I had that problem when I installed Crane Cam's ignition box on my 240. Apparently something about the old style tachs not working with the new style ignition (replacing the points) My buddies car did the same thing with MSD's kit. I believe the MSD part # you're talking about is to make an MSD ignition compatible with fuel injection, but I'm not sure. Either way if you have a new autometer tach your car should run just fine with stock or aftermarket ignition. Good luck.