HybridZ

Bumper laws- where to look

TomoHawk

Where does one look in the state codes for the requirement(s) of bumpers? What kind of search terms would you use? Me, I'm on Ohio. I'm sure all of those with the GTO kits would be interested. It would be a shame to have to cover up the GTO's beautiful glasswork with nerf bars.

:(

Guest Anonymous

Basically all 50 states have bumper laws mandated by the federal government. If the car came originally with bumpers... you have to have bumpers. All 39 of the original 250 GTO's did not have bumpers. If you change the title to a replica 250 GTO that had no bumpers,,, most likely you will not need bumpers. The bumper laws is not uniformly enforced. There was a big discussion on this topic a few months back. By the way I recieved my "Talbot style" bullet racing mirrors today from an ebay Auction. $31.00 total and never have been used. No markings on them whatsoever/

not even country of origin

Can you really change the title to say your car is a "replica?" I noticed my title has a spot that says, "Conversion." Maybe that's where it goes. What kind of stuff would you need to do or show before changing the title to say "replica GTO" ?

BTW, did your Talbot mirrors mount on the stock mirror mounts? Mine are so loose I adjust them after closing the door or at every light. :mad:

Call up your local PD or SO and ask for the local vehicle Code numerical. For Ohio I believe it is referred to as their "OVC". In any event, they are mandated and somewhat enforced. Usually, its only the "Rookie Fish" that swet that crap! In CA., us older ones look for more flagrant vio's.

Check back in the archieves about 3 months for further info.

Van

Guest Anonymous

I have a 1952 MGTD Replica on a vw that is registered in Oregon as a 1952 MG Roadster with a replica notation. ^The car was inspected but the inspector was very interested in a plate she called a "point of Origin designation and # from the manufacturer. Apparently I will make my own for the GTO and Cobra since the do not have (stamp set and aluminum plate.. The mirrors (I have) contain a phillips srew at the bullet tip that locks the mirror adjustment. If you take out the screew and remove the mirror, you will have access to the locking nut on the inside of the mirror that secures the mounting plate to the car. You can tighten this nut. By tightening the screw at the tip of the bullet you can lock the mirror adjustment.

Guest Anonymous

There may not be any examiners with intimate knowledge of a 250 GTO. No it does not have to be exact since there are no GTO's that are identical. My MGTD is not exact, in fact it is an improvement over the original ie.: mine runs....Start collecting pictures of other GTO replicas to show the examiner as originals/ LOL

Guest Anonymous

Tom , you are worrying too much. If you show up with the car at DMV with the proper paperwork on the Datsun and the serial #'s match and tell them you want to register it as a 250 GTO Ferarri... they will collect the fee and do it because it will generally look like a Ferarri /////at least here in Oregon they will do it. What really may be cause for worry is: INSURANCE. I drive my MG all over the place without the required front license plate and never been stopped. If the car looks great, the police will be looking at the car and not for violations.

One of the first GTO replicas I saw was on a PBS low-budget program about cars and car shows. They interviewed the owner ( is he a Hybridz member?) who explained that although its a Datsun platform, he titled it as a 1962 GTO.....because he lives in California (!) and that was easier than smogging a Datsun with a 283 Chevy.

I thought this was a pretty clever way around the rules. I wondered if I could title my 1979 Ford Fairmont as a 1947 Pontiac since the 429 wasn't stock but but I did have a funky breather made of a gutted Poncho air cleaner with 8 Hillborn stacks through the hood. - What was the subject of this thread? Ummmm ya, Pontiac bumpers would have been too heavy.

Thanks, Tomahawk,

I won't go to the extreme of making it look -exactly- like a real GTO, but I will try to keep things in the GTO spirit:

• [*]
lotsa (painted) metal instead of the plastic fixtures, vinyl, etc. maybe that fake aluminum paint from http://www.eastwoodco.com? [*]Already started painting things a medium grey, like Aliminum. [*]custom aluminum shiftgate for the A/T to look like a 4-speed, maybe even a pushbutton shiftknob.[*]full-size spare in the back.[*]chrome mirrors, if I can find 2.

[/list:u:1d542c19ec]Unfortunately, if you take it to a show, they will look at all the specifics. I just plan on driving it around for fun (my ultimate toy), then maybe pass it on to the kids.