HybridZ

AC Delco inner tie rods - any experience?

ac delco makes tie rods for imports? never knew that. that part does not work for a datsun z. i just crossed it over here at work and its for 89-94 240sx's. not 240z. the part looks completely different from the datsun z.

Edited by piston
edit

google 240z tie rod pics and 240sx tie rod pics. it looks different. according to my computer datsun z's and up to 83 zx's is the same for passenger side. i didnt come up with a listing for the driver side so i dont know about that side but when i put in the rock auto part# it shows its the same for either side. 240sx has double males threads with 16x1.00 threads for rack side for 89-94. 240z has males theads also but on the passenger side it way bigger threads on rack side.

Edited by piston
edit

This is what the 240z/260z/280z (aka S30) inner tie rod (aka rack end) looks like (see attached pic)

I have found a supplier - I have ordered some so lets hope the correct part arrives. If they are correct I will post were I got these from :)

With regards to the comment above about

datsun z's up to 83 zx's is the same for the passengers side
(assume piston is talking about the outer tie rod) this is not quite true. Yes they look the same and have the same RH Thread so join up to the (US Passenger, my drivers side) RHS inner tie rod. However the S130 units are 10mm longer than the S30. Also to note that this only applies to the rack versions of the ZX/S130 as the early PS units were recirculating ball/steering box setup and used different tie rods altogether.

260z-Rack-End_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok just realised that I did not post the part number for the inner tie rod that I found - ie like the pic above.

There are a number of suppliers of the inner tie rod shown above. Just google 26575 and Rare Parts - if you hunt around you will find a cheaper source ;)

• 4 months later...

What about the left inner tie rod end? Is the thread rotation different where it connects to the rack or the outer tie rod. If the threads on the rack are the same LH and RH then what about using a RH outer tie rod on the left with a RH outer tie rod?

Thanks,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

What about the left inner tie rod end? Is the thread rotation different where it connects to the rack or the outer tie rod. If the threads on the rack are the same LH and RH then what about using a RH outer tie rod on the left with a RH outer tie rod?

Thanks,

Pete

That works, as like you say, the thread on the rack at either end is the same it is only the shaft out of the "rack end" that is different.