HybridZ

COP charge time (Please Verify)

Nismo280zEd

Ok... so by some dumb luck I stumbles across some outstanding information on the COP units I'm trying to run with megasquirt.

I have a chart showing current (amps) in relation to battery voltage (Ubatt) what the charge time would be for the COP unit.

I was trying to figure out at redline (6,500rpm) how many ms exist between each spark event. Then I could compare that number to the one I have for charge time and figure out if the COP can charge up before being asked to fire at redline.

So... here is the math I did

(6,500revolutions/1 minute)(1minute/60 seconds)(1second/1000ms)(6sparks/1revolution)

that gives me (sparks/ms) which is .65 so we take the inverse of that which gives us (ms/sparks) which is about 1.538. So in theory I have 1.54ms between each spark event at 6,500rpm right? And my cop @ 7.5amp and 14v require between 1.8 and 2.0ms to charge.

Now... I running MSnS and trying to configure it as wasted spark 2 coils fire at the same time. So... my question is... My 6sparks/revolution... is that correct for say OEM type ignition distributor and coil? Also... with my wasted spark setup.. will this change to 3spark/revolution or... would it change to 12..?

Little tired from work and wanted to run this by somebody else to see what they think.

Thanks,

-Ed

you should be using 3 sparks per revolution.

but really if you are doing wasted spark ignition, you are only interested in 3 sparks/2revolutions as it relates to coil charge time.

If you are doing a true COP ignition setup then you are only interested in 1 spark/2 revolutions for coil charge time.

You should not be running into a situation where coil dwell time is limited by anything more than 3 spark events/2 revolutions if you are running either COP or wasted spark.

Edit: Care to share the information you stumbled upon?

lol I'd love to man, but UH and my laptop haven't gotten along this past week. Ever since I updated AVG the firewall has locked me out of UH wireless. Spent 4hrs thursday, finally got it to work, now it took a crap again.

It's on Bosch website. I'll post the link when I get home.

-Ed

Ok,

Here is for the specific coils I'm using

http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/pdf/components/ignition_coils/Single_P50_P50_M.pdf

I'm trying to get the base site that had the list of all the coils... but I'm a genius and didn't book mark it. I know I tracked it down through a Pelican thread.

EDIT.. found the linke

http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/content/language2/html/2847.htm

that is the base site for the coils.

-Ed