HybridZ

Dumb heater hose question

Ok, I think I have this figured out. But I'm going to risk sounding stupid instead of doing something stupid.

Which hose connects to the radiator and which to the motor?

And what about this discussion about restricters so as not to over pressure the heater core and blow it up. Is it truly necessary? Has this happened to you? If I use a radiator cap rated at the same pressure as the Datsun won't this do the same thing?

Guest Anonymous

I would assume (and I hope I'm right cause its what I'm doing with this Howe radiator I'm putting in) that if you don't go over the stock pressure it should be fine (unless its weak of course). I think I'm keeping the 13lb cap on the new radiator that I was using on the stocker with a V8 with no problem, the heater core won't know the difference icon_wink.gif. The aluminum one suggest some crazy 21-24 lb cap which common sense (and others before me) tells me not to do unless I want a glycol bath. icon_smile.gif

Not sure I understand the other question about which hose goes to the radiator, on the chevy both would be going to the engine if we're still talking heater hoses?

Regards,

Lone

[ July 21, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Sorry, give you more info. On the '91 305tpi one hose connects to the intake manifold near the throtlebody. The other to a 5/8 outlet on the right top corner of the radiator.

So, which one do I connect to the top hose coming through the firewall, and which to the bottom?

Dan, I did some research on this and the result was that I hooked the top heater hose on the firewall to the intake manifold and the lower one to the water pump. I'm 99% sure this is the correct way to hook it up.

Interesting to see other's responses.

Guest Anonymous

Dan, Sorry I didn't answer this sooner, my car is at another location where I'm doing the front end and I just today checked it out, and its as Pete has his. Sorry for the late reply.

Regards,

Lone

Thanks guys.

I checked the Camaro book. Doesn't have a connection to the water pump. But it does show the direction of flow. Comes out of the intake manifold, to the heater core, out of the heater core into the top right corner of the radiator, just below the radiator cap. I have the small camaro radiator.

I checked with Eric of ZParts. He said water flows through the Datsun heater core; in through the lower hose, and out through the upper.

So, does that sound right to you?

Guest Anonymous

Sounds right to me, that connection to the manifold on the carb'ed smallblock manifold up front is on the same passage that goes out the top radiator hose. The water pump therefore would be the feed side going to the heater core on our motors. Im assuming its the difference of the later model engines and the different water pump setup they use that flows out of the intake to the heater etc as you said making the return hose to the radiator directly. I've seen the return hose going to a radiator directly in a Ford once can't recall the model. Hope thats clear, I probably muddied the waters more by typing to much... icon_smile.gif

Good luck with it,

Lone