HybridZ

bronco wont start need help please

Guest 400 ci 280z

Guest 400 ci 280z

i went mudding yesterday and wasnt thinking and tried to go through a big puddle. well it was a lot deeper than i thought and my car wont start. i got water up to the door sill and it filled up my exhaust and my friends told me to let it sit over night and dry out. this morning i tried to start it and it wont turn over. it makes a noise like it is trying to but wont. if someone could help it would be appreciated. i am sorry that this doesnt go in this forum but i figured that you guys could help.

chris

You probably got water into the cylinders. Pull ALL of the spark plugs and rotated the engine several revolutions by hand. Do not do this using the starter as an easy method. Look for water pouring out of the spark plug holes. If ANY water is pushed out, rotate the engine a few more times by hand, and then clean and re-install the spark plugs. Pull the distributor and wires to check for water or condensation. If there is any, spray WD-40 into the boot ends and rotor cap and dry it out well. If you have an air compressor, use a blow gun attachment and dry EVERYTHING out. Also pop the air cleaner box and change the filter and check for water. Change the oil before you even attempt to re-start it. Once that is done, start the motor normally and it should fire. Let it run for a good half hour at idle. The exhaust overpressure will help to push any extra water that may reside in the exhaust.

If it still does not fire up after all of this, then the water may have shorted out some fusable links or fuses. Check all the electrical connections for condensation or burn marks that could possibly result from a short. That's all I know.

Grog

Guest 400 ci 280z

i talked to my uncle today and he said it sounds like a starter problem. i did not have time to do anything with it today because of work but tomorrow i will remove the spark plugs first. then if nothing is wrong remove the starter and have it tested. if i find something out i will tell you guys how it goes. thanks.

chris

Guest bluex_v1

Also when you get it running, be sure to check the axel(s), transfer case, and transmission. When a hot axle housing or transmission takes a bath, it cools down and creates low internal pressure, which will suck water in. If you have an auto, it might be a good idea to just drain and replace the fluid...for the axle, you can drive it around the block a few times and check it from the fill plug...if the oil comes out frothy, you have water in there and you should drain and replace, this should work for the transfer case to if you have something like 90 weight in it...I'm not sure myself what the late Broncos had.

Of course you don't have to worry about this if you've run lines from the breathers up into the body somewhere.

Guest 400 ci 280z

grog

you were right there is water in the cylinders. thing is the water is kind of muddy. what do i need to do to get the silt out? i just pulled the plugs and saw water pouring out the back cylinder. i guess i will turn it over by hand several times and take the compressor and dry out each cylinder. then dry out the distributer. thanks.

chris

grog

you were right there is water in the cylinders. thing is the water is kind of muddy. what do i need to do to get the silt out? i just pulled the plugs and saw water pouring out the back cylinder. i guess i will turn it over by hand several times and take the compressor and dry out each cylinder. then dry out the distributer. thanks.

chris

Chris,

The only way to properly clean any particulates out of a cylinder is to pull the heads. I hate to pass on the following advice in light of that, but you do assume a degree of risk (scoring the cylinder walls and/or damaging the valves and seats) by not pulling the heads for a proper cleaning.

You can follow your own plan that you previously mentioned. Do not attempt to re-introduce any liquid into the engine in a effort to dilute or flush the cylinders of any residue. Clean the plugs, distributor, etc..., and change the oil as I recommended. Keep a keen eye and ear open for any strange behavior or noises that may emanate from the engine when you start it. Good luck.

Grog

Guest 400 ci 280z

well i started it and it started to knock. it sounds like something up high instead of a knock in the bottom end. i guess i will be towing it somewhere and have it looked at. this really sucks and delays the project even more. frown.gif well i am really depressed about all this crap and i guess when i get it fixed i wont be doing this any more. thanks for the help grog.

chris

Guest 400 ci 280z

well i got a price quote on a rebuild and it is $1550 for it installed. the ford dealership wanted just under 3 grand for theirs so i wont be going to them. just thought i would post this.

chris