HybridZ

Argh...driver's seat mounts broke...

capt_furious

Two of the bolts have torn the body sheet metal. I think one failed(left rear, looks as if it rusted a bit and then punched through) and worked the other loose after 'rocking' the seat over time. I've got a few chunks of scrap metal wedged into there to keep from rocking right now. I figure the less it moves, the better, no point in fatiguing the other mount points.

Is there any sort of quick fix to mount new seats(such as a cheap fiberglass bucket), or do I need to weld this up? I'd take photos, but I haven't really got the time.

Driver's seat is getting pretty beat up, anyway. I've got a little spare dough, it's time to put in something more supportive.

I think welding would be the safest option, but when this happened in an old Bronco I had, I removed the seat mount, removed all the bent metal and re-enforced the mounting area with aluminum patches front and back extending aprox. three inches out from the broken edge, and secured with cherry max rivets. I drilled the mounting holes through both skin patches, and used large area washers on the bolt to give it more surface area to bite on. I figured this kind of repair would be suitable for aircraft skin, should be good for a seat mount.

In addition to Thrustnut's idea.

Don't substitute the aluminum patches with beer can aluminum and don't substitute the rivets with homedepot aluminum poprivets, and don't substitute thick washers for any old washers laying around, or make your own washers out of more left over beer can aluminum.

Seriously though. Don't mess with your life. Welding with generous amounts of fresh steel, and buying NEW grade 8 seat bolts/fasteners is worth it. If welding is not an option, as long you follow my above "don'ts", Thrustnuts idea is ok too!

Good luck, and don't burn down the car with the welder!