HybridZ

Weird Trailer Tech

Dan Juday

i have installed & fabricated hitches for rvs.5th wheel hitch tracks better if it is installed slightly ahead of rear axle of truck -about 2".if your are using a standard pull trailer make sure heavy stuff (tools & fluids) are loaded in front.tounge weight should be 10% of trailer weight.try using some of the antisway/equalizer bars like they use on big house trailers.

Engineering is all about compromises, this is yet another example of someone letting the compromise get the best of them. it may allow more trailer weight to be pulled, but I bet a lot of problems show up quick with regular use. If you want to do it right just get a proper vehicle to pull your trailer.

Perry

Not only will it lift your rear tires off the ground when they pass over a low spot, it will increase the weight on the rear tires when they pass over a high spot (due to the leverage that is added by a 2ft extension to your hitch). I also don't think the tire swivels, so that tire would not be able to handle a lot of turning without being ground off.

Keep in mind this is meerly good ol' Alabama redneck engineering talking. :D