HybridZ

Electricals all messed up...help!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Yes, it is a terrible coincidence but the ignitions on BOTH my datsuns go bad at the SAME time. We fixed the 1975 easy, just wired a starter switch and it cranks fine-it was the key ignition. Now, the 1976 wiring is jacked up:

The switch is fine. I tested the resistance. The engine will crank over if you cross the terminals with a screwdriver. The lighs, turn signals and hazards work.

But if you turn the key, the gauges are dead and the engine wont crank cuss.gifcuss.gifcuss.gifcuss.gif

HELP! I need to know what wires to test! Where are common problems with this? And please, can someone get me a wiring diagram? I will pay!

Any thoughts or advice are extremely hail.gifhail.gif appreciated!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, sparky. Its not the ignition switch. That is OK, cuz i checked it for connectivity w/ a voltage tester, and the wires running into the switch have Zero power. no live wires going into switch. Im thinking a short. But where?

oh man sorry! i think i slightly misunderstood the original post (thats my dumb a$$ not reading things a couple times BEFORE i post "knowledge" lol bonk.gif

well...have you checked the fusible links? your batteries + side should go into the starter then back out into the big red/white wire, which then breaks off into four other wires that go into the fusible links...one goes to the alt. one goes to ignition the other goes to your main power supply..and the other one i.... cant remember. but i would for sure start at the battery..follow it to the starter...then up to the fusible links...etc etc...until you find the break. who knows...after 20+ years all kind or crazy stuff starts to happen in the electrical system of these cars.

for a wire diagram...check out z car creations web site...i think they have the 76 up in PDF format.

maybe that will help tongue.gif

Guest Anonymous

YESSS SPARKY YOU ARE A GOD!

Well to explain i fixed the starting problem-one of the fusible links had a dirty connection? malebitchslap.gif I dont know how that crap just happens out of the blue.

Anyway, all gauges work and it starts.

However, power gauge reads Zero!!!!!! :eek:

And the stero does not work! Stereo is wired into one of the dashboard accesories, but i suspect it has something to do with the zero amperage reading. Any Ideas here people?

had the same thing happen on mine.

what it turned out to be was the ignition swith. its actually scary just how easy it comes apart.

take the column cover off. located the ignition switch youll notice that its in two parts...the keyed portion (attached to the column) and the the back switch portion (that all the wires run into to) pop off the plug and get a long skinny phillips head screw driver out. youll find two (if i remeber correctly) offest screw holding the switch to the lock barrel. just unscrew them and gently twist and pull the switch out. grab a new one and your set to go. there is a little metal or plastic rod that goes inside the mechanism so watch for it when you pull the switch out (it will probably fall to the floor.) i was worried about getting that in at first...but what i did was put a dab of thick axle grease on the plastic/metal rod and stick it into the switch...then i ever so gently put it into place.

the 240Z switchs are a tad different...but you can use them. anywho...hope that helps.