HybridZ

Finally getting some work done on my recently aquired Z...

So I guess this is a bit of an introduction of myself as well as my Z. I'm not new to the car-modding scene. I used to mess with Volvos (turbocharging, megasquirt, etc... hit up

www.turbobricks.com). I kind of decided I was tired of messing around with something about as visually appealing as a cardboard box and about as aerodynamic as one too. My coworker, who is also a hybridz member turned me onto Datsuns. We've been converting his 73' 240Z with an L28 to megasquirt. So this is what I ended up with, for 1000$:

At the PO's house:

z7.jpg

After getting it home and finally getting the stupid rear drums off:

100_1926.jpg

The Toyota belongs to my roommate. It has a Series II supercharged 3.8 with a T5 behind it.

100_1924.jpg

Filthy:

DSC00231.jpg

So after replacing lots of stuff including: plugs, wires, brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, fuel hoses, fuel pump, fuel filter, oil change, clutch slave cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, halfshaft U joint, manifold gaskets, pcv valve, valve cover gasket, etc....

It ran!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUxgXYR1TWA

But it ran like crap, so I decided to rip everything out and throw on the megasquirt that used to be on my Volvo. I bought a Palnet rail and an EDIS wheel and sensor mount from Derek, here on the board (great value by the way, and at a very worthwhile price).

http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/nickflyman/280z/Megasquirt/

I'll be using the coils and ignitor from a 3000GT. Check this out for more info: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=137151

More cleaner!!!

DSC00249.jpg

So thats pretty much where I'm at now as far as the engine goes. I've been taking care of some bodywork and fixing rust in some areas and am hoping to have a paintjob on the thing in a few months. It should be interesting to see how it comes out.

Anyway guys, let me know what you think. Any suggestions are welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Been watching your roommates car come along in another forum for the last year. Was wondering when we'd finally see a post by you there but it appears you've gone and done it up here.

Glad to finally see something on it instead of just staring when he posts picks of his ride in the garage with yours next to it.

Yeah, that silly corolla is definitely good inspiration for me. Will is good with a wrench and is typically a good influence on my vehicular insanity. After tomorrow, exams are over and I can really tear into it. I started re-carpeting the interior yesterday and am going to purchase some seats for the car soon. I also want to tackle the stereo install and fix the chassis wiring issues.

I threw a new lock cylinder in it today so now its not steal-able by anyone with a screwdriver.

I'm undecided on whether or not I want to rip out the A/C. I figure I'll leave everything as-is for now and look into making it work later.

A couple other things I want to get fixed are the door-shutting issue and my drivers side window, which seems to have a very sloppy regulator.

Anyway, I'm basically free for the next month, so hopefully all these little issues can be rectified and I'll have a bitchin' little car to drive around in next semester... :-D