HybridZ

L24E engine specs and compression?

bradyzq

Hi All,

It has been a few years since I last drove my Z, and I recently dragged it out of storage. It started right up on the first try (after 2.5 years sittingBTW) !

But now it seems the rear carb or cylinders 5 and 6 aren't doing much.

So I pulled the carbs off and set the throttle stops (only the front carb had been closing it seems), checked the fuel pressure, adjusted the valves, cleaned and gapped the plugs, timed the engine, and took a compression test.

A couple of the valves were off (at least by Z L24 specs) but not by too much.

But when I timed the engine, I noticed that my timing pointer is graduated (has many points, not just one for 0degrees), and my crank pulley only has 2 marks. The pointer is on the alternator side of the engine. This is different from what I expected, which was a single pointer, and many marks on the pulley.

Then, when I took the compression test, dry, with cold engine, because it doesn't want to start right now..., I got these results:

1: 195psi

2: 195psi

3: 205psi

4: 195psi

5: 195psi

6: 200psi

This is higher than spec for a 240Z.

The car has an N47 (MN47?) head and there is still significant metal below the "N47" so it hasn't been milled.

Engine is L24 032144.

Basically, I'm unsure what engine this is. It's been in my car for 15 years, and it came out of another Z, but it was a 280Z and it had fuel injection on it!

I'm leaning towards it being a Maxima motor, but the 200psi compression numbers seem high for that.

So, where can I find Maxima L24E compression and other data? I've looked through the stickies on heads and L series dimensions, but no luck...

Thanks, and sorry if this post is a bit long...

Your compression numbers are high for L series engines. The good news is they are all relatively equal.

Check the side of the block and you should see the casting number. Run a search on the number and you will find a lot of information.