HybridZ

Playing around with tire size.

So I've been playing around with this tire size calculator;

http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

Though I guess I just have a quick question with the stock rime (I have the Iron Cross rims) on my 1978 280z 5spd car- what is the widest tire I can fit on that rim (with recommended height accordingly). I may be incorrect but from my understanding it is a 6" by 14" rim though I could be wrong. Also from what I can find 195/60r14 tires were the stock sizing (tire-rack).

I had purchased the car with lower profile tires (which look not quite right imho)- I prefer wider taller muscle car styled tires with performance in mind.

Thank you in advance to any help that may be provided

vega-

• 2 weeks later...

Some tire manufacturers will list the min tire width for each tire size. Here's the specs for a BFG tire in a 215/60-14:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=Radial+T%2FA&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=16SR4RADTARWL2&tirePageLocQty=%26partnum%3D16SR4RADTARWL2

In general, I wouldn't go beyond a 215 for a 6" rim, and even that is probably pushing it, although this example tire seems to be ok with 6" rims all the way up to 235.

FYI, the width of the tire to our eyes is affected obviously by the tire's width, but also a lot by the width of the rim it's mounted on. In other words, a 215 vs 205 tire on a 6" rim aren't going to look much different. And all else being equal, I'd bet that the 205 would be a better choice from a performance point of view.

Lastly, here's a spread sheet I built that let's you see how the tire diameter changes for a variety of sizes for our Zs. The Error column is how much your speedo will be off, assuming it's accurate with the stock tire :)

Tire sizes - 240z.zip

will the 205 60 14 fit in front also? got pics?

I do not have that tire size. However, I have seen 205-60-14 fit on a stock car without problems. The tires I saw, were Yokohama ES100 on the car. If they have your size The Tire Rack is doing a close out on them right now.

A long time ago I ran 215/60-14 BFGs on 14 x 7 Enkei wheels. I had no clearance issues front or rear on my 73. The suspension was stock.

I can't imagine you'd have clearance issues with a 205/60-14 unless something isn't straight on the car.