HybridZ

Gauging interest in a bolt in coilover solution

Just like the title says, I'm gauging interest in a bolt in coilover solution.

After doing a little reading, it seems like I'm not the only one who's been preparing to offer something similar ;)

The goal is to offer a 100% pre-assembled bolt in coilover that won't break the bank. The kit would be targeted towards those who mostly drive their Z hard on the street, but still take it to the track to see some road racing/drag/auto-x. There's a significant amount of support for coilovers out there, but everything involves cutting and welding, something that we're not all able to do or comfortable doing.

Here's the preliminary idea. I want to keep things streetable, trackable, reliable, and easy.

• Sectioned struts to maintain full suspension travel on a lowered car
  • Struts with adjustable dampening -- likely illuminas
  • Spring rates of 225f/250r
  • Bump-steer spacers

Options would include:

• Camber plates
  • Vented 4x4 brake upgrade
  • Rear disk upgrade

Give me some feedback on the ideas, and let me know what I can do to improve. I want to know what YOU guys want to see in a kit of this sort so I can make it happen! :)

Target price is right around $2000 for the basic kit and $2600 for the kit with bolt in camber plates. Waiting to hear back from the machinist on brackets and spacers before I put out a preliminary price on the kit with brake upgrades.

John offers a setup like this through Beta Motorsports

http://betamotorsports.com/products/products.php?cat=10

A complete street and racing strut kit for the Datsun 240, 260, and 280Z. The kit comes fully assembled (with the struts shortened as appropriate for the shocks selected) and ready to install with the following components:

4 shocks of your choice: Tokico HP (non-adjsutables), Tokico Illuminas, or Tokico HTS for a street/track car, Tokico HTS, Koni 8610 singles, or Koni 8611 doubles for a race car.

4 EMI Racing Camber plates.

4 Hyperco 2.5" diameter 10" tall coil springs (your choice of rates).

4 EMI Racing threaded collars and lower spring perches.

2 front struts and spindles.

2 rear struts and hubs.

2 stub axles and companion flanges.

2 new inner wheel bearings.

2 new outer wheel bearings.

2 new grease seals.

2 new stub axle nuts.

2 backing plates (optional).

2 new spindle pins, lock nuts, and wedges

Tokico Illumina shocks (BZ3099 front and BZ3015) rear.

$3382.00

Now his assembly already has everything ready to go including new seals and bearings and a camber plate etc etc.. this is literally "bolt on".

Just food for thought

I'll have to look for a source for spindle pins, but the kit would also include new bearings and seals.

Looks like my kit is essentially the same thing , minus the camber plates.

Another option would be offering a set of strut tubes that are sectioned and have the collars welded on, leaving the buyer to provide their own struts and coilovers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...