HybridZ

Stock '83 280zx turbo swap into '72 240z

lwood240z

I am wondering with the stock turbo swap into a CA non smog vehicle, what sort of smog, vacuum stuff on the intake/exhaust manifolds are necessary. I plan on doing some minor engine and head work for this turbo modification, but it is my first turbo ever and I want to stick with some stock specs until I learn more about this setup. I have the F54 block, a P90 head, and '83 electrical, smog, intake/exhaust w/240sx 60mm throttle body(which TPS do I use). I don't know what, if any smog or vacuum stuff needs to be there. I am looking for the most power and driveability with the stock turbo until I upgrade. Also, if you have any suggestions for me on what else I should do with what I have, please let me know. I plan on taking my time with this and would like to know everything I can about it before I f--k up anything. Lost in modification in Marysville,CA. :burnout:

Legally, you have to run all of the smog crap that came with the '83 engine. Really, though, you don't have to get the car smogged, so nobody is going to care if you run none of it. I live in San Diego and I have none of the emissions junk on my L28ET.

Also, with stock electronics, you need to use the ZX TPS.

So, I don't need the purge canister, the vacuum modulator, or any of the valves on the intake manifold? The throttle body from the 240sx positions the zx TPS, 90 degrees to the left from original position. Do I have to re-adjust this somehow? Throwing another quick question in here. What do I use to bore out the intake manifold to match the size of the 60mm TB? THX

I am working on essentially the same project here in Idaho (with no state smog laws) but with a 77 280Z, using the 83 zx for a donor. I found some information, probably here, about using the '75 280 intake (N42 I believe) without the egr valve assembly. The members engine looked very clean with all the hoses and such gone. I too am using the 60 mm sx throttle body (all of this is scheduled to be here tomorrow) so am very interested in following your project. I'm still in limbo about using the injector cooler fan. If it doesn't screw up any inputs to the computer, I'm going to try to go without it.

Good luck! I'd like to quietly follow along if you don't mind.

Leonard

No problem Idahokid, if you want to follow. I need to do some following of my own, since I do not really know what I am doing. I am very savvy with the 240z, but it does not have any computer, hence my need for information. If there is anything you can tell me short of the non-egr intake manifold, I would love to know. I am going to be using what I have, since I already paid for it all. One ? on the intake manifold that I have. I have an air regulator that is electronically monitored. I just spoke to an expert and he says to his knowledge I have to keep that hooked up so my car will idle properly. Is this true?

So, I don't need the purge canister, the vacuum modulator, or any of the valves on the intake manifold? The throttle body from the 240sx positions the zx TPS, 90 degrees to the left from original position. Do I have to re-adjust this somehow? Throwing another quick question in here. What do I use to bore out the intake manifold to match the size of the 60mm TB? THX

Nope, you can get rid of all that vacuum junk. Look around for pictures of shaved intake manifolds. That's literally all you need.

For the TPS, though, you will need to figure out how to orient it correctly. It cannot be adjusted. You may consider just using the stock ZX throttle body because the 240SX one probably won't help with the stock electronics anyways.

Nope, you can get rid of all that vacuum junk. Look around for pictures of shaved intake manifolds. That's literally all you need.

For the TPS, though, you will need to figure out how to orient it correctly. It cannot be adjusted. You may consider just using the stock ZX throttle body because the 240SX one probably won't help with the stock electronics anyways.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I'll be back when I have more ?'s.

Do I need to have an adjustable pop-off valve to replace the stock one on the manifold, or would a blow-off valve be enough?

Do I need to have an adjustable pop-off valve to replace the stock one on the manifold, or would a blow-off valve be enough?

Yeah, that pop off valve was for overboost protection, I believe. Just run a blow off valve and make sure that the wastegate on the turbo is working properly.

Yeah, that pop off valve was for overboost protection, I believe. Just run a blow off valve and make sure that the wastegate on the turbo is working properly.

Stock fuel injectors are $35 a piece and are a borg warner race series injector. Would I need to upgrade from this or what horsepower range will these work til? I keep reading about the gas tank and how you have to get the one from a fuel injected vehicle. Is this true? Is there any other major components that anyone can think of that I should know? Flywheel, clutch, engine parts,etc... I have an electronic distributor from a '83 maxima wagon, an msd blaster2 coil, 5-spd. from '82 280zx, rear diff. from '77 280z, Electric fuel pump from '74 260z(i think),stock F54 block, a P90 head(non-hydraulic). As far as the head, Motorsport Auto told me that the P90 will work in place of a P90a and they said it was better because they have a wider range of parts available for the P90, is this true? One more thing, Motorsport Auto Also said that I need to have the Air regulator hooked up or the car won't idle. This is the unit at the front of the intake manifold with the electrical plug. Every setup I see online, does not have this hooked up or even anywhere to be found. Do i need this or can I get around it somehow?

Edited by lwood240z
Added more

Stock fuel injectors are $35 a piece and are a borg warner race series injector. Would I need to upgrade from this or what horsepower range will these work til? I keep reading about the gas tank and how you have to get the one from a fuel injected vehicle. Is this true? Is there any other major components that anyone can think of that I should know? Flywheel, clutch, engine parts,etc... I have an electronic distributor from a '83 maxima wagon, an msd blaster2 coil, 5-spd. from '82 280zx, rear diff. from '77 280z, Electric fuel pump from '74 260z(i think),stock F54 block, a P90 head(non-hydraulic). As far as the head, Motorsport Auto told me that the P90 will work in place of a P90a and they said it was better because they have a wider range of parts available for the P90, is this true? One more thing, Motorsport Auto Also said that I need to have the Air regulator hooked up or the car won't idle. This is the unit at the front of the intake manifold with the electrical plug. Every setup I see online, does not have this hooked up or even anywhere to be found. Do i need this or can I get around it somehow?

Let me see if I can answer most of your questions:

I have some extra fuel injectors for sale in the classifieds. ;)

You should be able to run the stock injectors up to about 12PSI - whatever horsepower range that will be. It may be beneficial to just go to an aftermarket engine management at that point (I use MegaSquirt II)

I am using a stock 240Z fuel tank with a surge tank. I have a fuel pump pumping fuel from the gas tank, to the surge tank, and then from the surge tank to the fuel rail.

You should be using a stock 280ZX Turbo distributor, it is the best one for an L-series engine. It will be the only one you can use with a 280ZX Turbo ECU and it is easy to get working with other engine managements as well.

P90 or P90A heads are fine.

Let me see if I can answer most of your questions:

I have some extra fuel injectors for sale in the classifieds. ;)

You should be able to run the stock injectors up to about 12PSI - whatever horsepower range that will be. It may be beneficial to just go to an aftermarket engine management at that point (I use MegaSquirt II)

I am using a stock 240Z fuel tank with a surge tank. I have a fuel pump pumping fuel from the gas tank, to the surge tank, and then from the surge tank to the fuel rail.

You should be using a stock 280ZX Turbo distributor, it is the best one for an L-series engine. It will be the only one you can use with a 280ZX Turbo ECU and it is easy to get working with other engine managements as well.

P90 or P90A heads are fine.

What is the surge tank, where do you have it mounted and where do you find them? Oh yeah, and what do you know about the air regulator that I mentioned at the end of my last paragraph?

What is the surge tank, where do you have it mounted and where do you find them? Oh yeah, and what do you know about the air regulator that I mentioned at the end of my last paragraph?

Check out this thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=122978&highlight=surge+tank

Also I can't speak about the air regulator because I've never ran one on my engine.