HybridZ

serious condensation on windows

Guest DRK

I bought my buddies 78 280Z last January, but have only been driving it for a little over a month. The problem is that in the cool evenings or mornings there is a tremendous amount of moisture condensing on the inside of the windows. The other evening I even took my squeegee to the inside of the hatch because I could not see out at all. I drove a little while, and then it covered back up again with moisture. The windshield is fairly bad also, but it has the defroster to blow the air across it, and it will clear up but it takes a while. I also have the well known problem of exhaust smell when driving with the windows down and putting the pedal to the metal. The hatch gaskets are original, but not in that bad of shape, any suggestions?

There are two rubber plugs near the bottom of the hatch on the back side that have holes in them. I am thinking of replacing them because I am not sure if they are suppose to have holes in the middle.

Thanks,

Danny

My 280ZX did that once after it got some rain in it (forgot to put T tops back in bonk.gif ). Even though all the carpet and fabric felt dry, the windows (especially the hatch) would condence water. We had a warm sunny weekend, so I left the T-Tops out and the hatch open all day on Saturday and Sunday to dry it out, then the problem went away.

Any moisture in the vehicle will cause the windows to fog when ambient temps are cold.

If your w-strips are original then possibly your winshield w-strip is cracked; which will leak cold air in to the pass.compartment.

Also as said earlier-your heater core could have a minute leak or the water hoses to the heater core could be sweating-which comes from age. The hoses may not be cracked but because they are aged the rubber stretches & allows the coolant to sweat from the inside to the outside of the coolant.

AND, if your carpet is old and/or moisture saturated for whatever reason they may not be capable of drying out-which also creates humidity in the pass.compartment.

New carpet, w-strips & heater hoses will work wonders for the defogger. Ahhh, the fun of a restoration on a budget; been there-done that....oh wait a minute-I've never left and am still there emo.gif

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)