HybridZ

Help! she wont start all of the sudden!**with video**

hey guys its me again, i have a few ppl waiting with a shop to paint my car, when all of the sudden she wont start... its a 76 280z stock.

I start it, it sputters for about two seconds then dies(wont let me touch the gas either) I checked spark, all six are firing. i pulled off the gas line after the filter, its getting plenty...Can fuel injected engines get 'flooded'? thats how it seems to act... i wait a few minutes then go to start it, again, it sputters for two to three seconds, dies then i immediatly try again... it sputters then dies...But if i try a third time, nothing.Wait then it tries another two times, then nothing...

and its cold as hell, but that has never stopped her.

anyone? plz help they are waiting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C31OVzg2N60

Find the FSM or EFI Bible, that will help you out on how the whole EFI system works.

Anyways the Water temp sender tells the ECU if it needs to fire the Cold Start injector located near the Throttle body on top of the Intake. Also FI cars can get flooded if you press the gas while starting it, pumping it, etc. If you say it is cold the cold start injector is most likely triggering causing an extra gas boost to help start it.

But First thing download a FSM check out the EFI bible you can search for threads that have links on this forum, Read through the whole thing when you have time. It will help you figure it out.

Find the FSM or EFI Bible, that will help you out on how the whole EFI system works.

Anyways the Water temp sender tells the ECU if it needs to fire the Cold Start injector located near the Throttle body on top of the Intake. Also FI cars can get flooded if you press the gas while starting it, pumping it, etc. If you say it is cold the cold start injector is most likely triggering causing an extra gas boost to help start it.

But First thing download a FSM check out the EFI bible you can search for threads that have links on this forum, Read through the whole thing when you have time. It will help you figure it out.

Actually the water temp sensor tells the ecu what the water temp is so it can adjust fuel enrichment. Its the thermo time switch(bigger sensor next to the water temp sensor) that activates the cold start valve. If the engine is below 60 degrees the cold start valve starts to open IIRC.

But like he said, download the EFI bible. I had the same problem. My car would take multiple cranks to start and it turned out to be a bad ground and those two sensors. Ive never had a cold start problem since.

I'm sure Braap or someone else could help you more then me. Oh and by the way the fuel pump should only be on when the key is in "start" position, since I am not there and don't know the whole problem all I can say is read the EFI bible it will help you out I will try to find the link for your year and send it your way.

Also those to parts are in the front of the Thermostat housing right next to the Distributor, Make sure you remember which connector goes to which part.

They are located underneath the thermostat housing(Where the radiator hose connects to the engine) . You will see three connections under there. The smallest the water temp SENDER(for your gauge) the other two are your sensors, the bigger sensor is the thermo time switch and the other is the water temp sensor.

I'm sure Braap or someone else could help you more then me. Oh and by the way the fuel pump should only be on when the key is in "start" position, since I am not there and don't know the whole problem all I can say is read the EFI bible it will help you out I will try to find the link for your year and send it your way.

Also those to parts are in the front of the Thermostat housing right next to the Distributor, Make sure you remember which connector goes to which part.

When you turn your ignition switch from the off position to the ON position, it should prime for 5 seconds then shut off.

When you turn your ignition switch from the off position to the ON position, it should prime for 5 seconds then shut off.

Alright thank you for clearing that up, still getting used to the EFI on my car its a bit different on mine since my ignition doesn't work, but thanks, I have actually learned some stuff from what you already said haha.

Yea my ignition is ghetto-rigged by the PO.

so i checked the two things... and they are connected by some custom(likewise ghetto-rigged) wiring..BUT! it seems that they are adequatly grounded.

i disconnected the clip on the right( if your facing the car) and the car would idle for a nearly double 5-6 seconds before dieing. It even let me do half a rev once.

Could i maybe put a heater under the car for and see if it will start then?

(btw guys thanks so much for the hasty responses)

That is your water temp sensor, thats weird that it will only start if you disconnect it. So it started twice and idled, would it not start after that again?

This is correct. if i wait a minute or so i can get it to sputter another "set" of two before having to wait again

hmm. Well if you need to get the car started really quick heres what I would do Iin the mornings so I could get to school, maybe it will work for now.

I would take the cover off of the AFM, Then I would crank the car until it would start(for about 5-6 seconds like yours is) when it finally started/sputtered I would get out of the car and push the lever on the AFM slightley foward and hlold it there to trick the car into adding more fuel, this would start my car every time.

Note. I would never touch the gas pedal at any point during this because the car would instantly die if I did.

This wont fix your problem ofcousre, but im just trying to think of something so you can atleast get your car started for now for whoever is waiting on you so they can paint your car.

hmm. Well if you need to get the car started really quick heres what I would do Iin the mornings so I could get to school, maybe it will work for now.

I would take the cover off of the AFM, Then I would crank the car until it would start(for about 5-6 seconds like yours is) when it finally started/sputtered I would get out of the car and push the lever on the AFM slightley foward and hlold it there to trick the car into adding more fuel, this would start my car every time.

Note. I would never touch the gas pedal at any point during this because the car would instantly die if I did.

This wont fix your problem ofcousre, but im just trying to think of something so you can atleast get your car started for now for whoever is waiting on you so they can paint your car.

well thanks man i will give this a try later, the guys at the shop gave up on me ( also if i heated up the engine with an a floor heater would it maybe help?)

well thanks man i will give this a try later, the guys at the shop gave up on me ( also if i heated up the engine with an a floor heater would it maybe help?)

Ive never used one so I dont know how much it really would heat up the engine, my my understanding the point of using a heater it to keep the oil warm. So I dont know.