HybridZ

Autometer Oil Temp Gauge

Zmanco

I'm looking at the 3543 guage:

http://autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2796&sid=15

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-3543/

Have any of you used it in a 73 240Z? I'm thinking of replacing the clock with it. Does it require any cutting or special fabrication to mount? Did the stock lamps fit? Was the hole from the clock adjuster very noticeable?

I'm hoping for a more or less "bolt in" solution as my fabrication tools/skills for small delicate parts like this are not good.

Guest Gr8White

PM sweetride2go, he has some sweet gauge cups that I was the guinea pig on trying. (He might have some, you'll have to ask). They fit like a glove with the 2 5/8" 180 degree sweep electrical gauge. The problem here is that you would have to procure one of the other (2) gauges in the dash from another Z as a donor, his cups don't work with the clock and the body is different than the other 2 gauges.

There is some work removing the guts from the new gauge and putting them into the cup, you have to remove the metal trim retainer from the autometer gauge.

Finally, you have to carefully dremel out the center bar strip in the original gauge so that it doesn't interfere with the gauge needle. If you have minimal fabrication skills, you can do it, but it's not just a bolt in operation to do it right.

See sweetride2go's thread on this subject, he has pics. I'll see about posting some of my finished gauge pictures.