HybridZ

A few EZ-wiring questions (72' 240)

Awesome, third time I've typed this up. Alright, so I have a 72' 240z and an EZ wiring harness (I forgot which one, but it's plenty).

I have all of the diagrams I could find, and I'm using a color diagram from slash5.com. I'm no electronics noob, and have been messing with automotive wiring for quite a while. Even after consulting all my sources- I'm still slightly stumped due to the repetition of some of the wire colors. I'd like to integrate the EZ harness with the stock OEM plugs that go to the dash to keep it removable. I'm using this image ( http://album.hybridz.org/data/1/240Z_Instrument_Harness.jpg )- are there any similar diagrams that illustrate what each plug is for, instead of just the colors? That'd make it much easier to snip off the old plugs and solder them to the new harness.

Also- when replacing the harness what to do with the obsolete resistors, relays, etc? Should they stay? Replace them? Are you all using the stock voltage regulator? Did you add relays when re-wiring?

Anything else I should know?

I'm also eager to see photos of how everyone did theirs.

I'm still deciding how to use the stock dash with the harness kit.

But I think I may hardwire the ignition/switches.

Here's what I've got. I believe I have the pigtail for the ignition- just dont have the diagram/schematic for it.

l_03326947316d4a16afb63854d1c6d018.jpg

Im working on the front section and have just a few loose ends to tie up:

The harness is labeled with these wires-

ALT PWR

ALT EXCITOR

COIL POS

TACH

CHOKE

SOLENOID PWR

IGN SW START

The instructions would be great provided I had a Ford, Chevy, or Mopar- but I don't. Any help?

Also- how is the coil wired up? Where does it go? All i have are cut wires...

First, don't throw anything away !!! Do you have the 1972 Datsun 240z factory manual ? I just rewired my car with a Kwikwire harness, I could not have completed the re-wire without the factory manual. Also, Label, Label (Thanks Vinh !) Outside of a few trace wires, I could label and test wires and there function and then match them up with the Kwikwire harness (GM colors). Also, I replace all of the stock connections with weather pack connectors and some two pin, three pin and five pin male/female connectors I bought from Ron Francis electric.

This was posted on this site Factory manuals here: http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

Edited by Dudeboy
added info

First, don't throw anything away !!! Do you have the 1972 Datsun 240z factory manual ? I just rewired my car with a Kwikwire harness, I could not have completed the re-wire without the factory manual. Also, Label, Label (Thanks Vinh !) Outside of a few trace wires, I could label and test wires and there function and then match them up with the Kwikwire harness (GM colors). Also, I replace all of the stock connections with weather pack connectors and some two pin, three pin and five pin male/female connectors I bought from Ron Francis electric.

This was posted on this site Factory manuals here: http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

The FSM's I have are kinda vague for me. I got the ignition sorted out and I'm moving on to the rest of the car.

I was told the resistor can not be relocated/wired anywhere else but where it sits (next to the coil). I'm sort of confused by that because in the diagram the resistor bridges two ignition wires, and the coil doesn't even connect to it until the tach.

29epqps.jpg

I was told the resistor can not be relocated/wired anywhere else but where it sits (next to the coil).

Why can't it be moved? The only thing I can think of is that it needs to be somewhere where it can get warm without causing problems.

BTW, are you running with points, or are you switching to an electronic ignition? Only points need the resistor. If you switch to an electronic ignition, you can remove it.

Why can't it be moved? The only thing I can think of is that it needs to be somewhere where it can get warm without causing problems.

BTW, are you running with points, or are you switching to an electronic ignition? Only points need the resistor. If you switch to an electronic ignition, you can remove it.

I was told it shouldn't be moved. I just don't see the point in running those wires there.