HybridZ

"Speed Sensor" for Cruise Control

Guest TKR514

I'm adding a cruise control from a "GL" parts car tonight to my plain 1979 280zx. The manual says that there is a "speed sensor" that attaches onto the circuit board behind the tach.

My question is: Is there a speed sensor on all 79 280zx's and I can just attach to it OR do I need to disassemble the instruments on BOTH cars to move it with the other cruise control components? Sure is a hassle to remove the stering wheel and other stuff, twice....

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember right the speed sensor is in the speedo, you need to unhook it and hook it up the the 130 speedo off of a 85 speedo. Not to hard I did it in about 5 minutes after I got both speedos out. But even before I switched out the speedos my cruise didn't work so I have to hunt down the problem and fix it. Also if you need more info look on www.zcar.com under the 70-83 tech and do a scearch for the 130 speedometer and you'll find all you need to know about the speed sensor. it will just tell you what I told you and that you'll need the ciucit board off of a car with cruis. I hope this helps you out, good luck 2thumbs.gif

tbs

Great! Both my car and the parts car have the 130 speedo. Looking at the manual, I have to pull the steering wheel to pull the instrument cluster out. This should be interesting tongue.gif

I tried tracking down the wires in the old bundle, but they seem to run everywhere. It looks as if running all new wire is the best option. I have the shop manual. Only trouble is, I don't have the pin-outs for the 10 conductor connector that plugs into the controller. :mad:

I'll see if I have the color code diagram and then get soldering....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest De Schmaydee

....its not that bad...(after youve done it 10-15 times)...you dont have to remove the steering wheel to get the cluster out....just take out the 2-4 bolts that hold the steering column (and let it drop down) then the 4 screws that hold the cluster...you can "borrow" a puller for the s-wheel from autozone (for free)...if you want to....but you still have to drop the steering column down to get to two of the screws that hold the cluster in....s