HybridZ

81' 280zxt will 78 5spd manual and driveshaft fit???

78nismoZ

As the title says my auto tranny just kicked the bucket and I need to replace it asap. I have my 78 5spd and driveshaft, my question is will it fit into the 81' or what do i need? Sorry I am sure that this has been covered, but I searched and I wasnt sure what kind of combo to type in the bar to get my results, so any help is great....thanks very much!

Make sure you have a pilot bearing in the back of the crank. Most already do. The driveshaft is not the same length but it might work. I have used a 280zx turbo drive shaft in an earlier car (S30) but it is about 1/2" too long. In your case it should be 1/2" too short but may still work in a pinch as long as enough of the splines are engaged in the trans. You wouldn't want the to fall out on the road! Pole vaulting anyone?

As mentioned above you still need flywheel, clutch, throw out bearing/holder/fork, clutch master/slave/line, pedal, shifter and probably lots of misc items I have forgotten.

Good luck with the swap.