HybridZ

help tuning 95 LT1

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i have an 88' porsche 944 that i installed a 95' LT1. i'm having a small miss or stumble between 2-3k rpm. once above 3k it runs great. engine is stock except no emisions, headers open exhaust, k&n filter. i put in a 160 deg thermostat and it runs about 180 deg. is this to cool for a stock engine? i checked fuel pressure and have 40lb@key-up, 36lb@idle, and 47lb when i pull vacuum hose from regulator. do i need an adjustable fuel regulator? i'm not getting any trouble codes and all plugs, wires etc... are new. any suggestions?

Porschevy Project

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: 944LT1 ]

Nice swap.. post some pix... as for your stumble look at the optispark unit and or your plug wires... Several people I know have had trouble with them or had them completely go out... Also don't forget the plugs, the best thing to do is get it scoped and ohm the wires....Good luck....Nice to have you in the forum....

Guest super280z

hey dude thats a pretty cool swap, im still in the process of completing mine with a 280z and a 94 lt1. you had mentioned that your motor is skipping above 3000 rpm? well being that it is a 95 lt1 its an obd II computer and when it gets a reading of wot, it is blocking out your o2 sensors from its diagnostics. i'd be willling to bet that because you have headers and open exhaust its running super rich because that o2 sensor is going insane with the outside air its getting. check the o2 sensors and install a good exhaust system w/ muffler if you havent allready. let us know if that helps. and post some pics soon. icon_wink.gif

Guest Anonymous

the problem is between 2-3k above 3k its smooth and strong. (also the exhaust is 2.5" with a three stage flowmaster and the h02 sensors are new)the 95' is still ODBI.

Porschevy Project

Done anything to the MAF? Removed screens or anything? That can screw them up. You've got a VERY short run from th efilter to the MAF - that could also be screwing it up IMO as the air that it gets will be pretty rough. That's a WAG BTW icon_smile.gif

you've removed enough emissions equipment to lean it out I'd think. I'd seriously consider getting it to someone that can ROM tune it or get the LT1-Edit software. Actually, I'd get the LT1-Edit software no matter what! Join their forums too - those guys are bound to have TONS of information about the LT1 EFI that we've not got here (but bring it back to us would you? icon_smile.gif)

Here's a link to some info but unfortunatly NOT to their home page -> http://www.schube.com/obd2_lt1/default.htm A Google search will bring back tons of info on this software and I'm pretty sure it can be used on your computer. Our 94 Impalla SS has a MAF and it can be edited so you're 95 shoudl yield as well.

I'm actually considering using the LT1-Edit software and an OEM computer on my car when I go EFI. I'm just not quite sure it'll like not seeing an Optispark and whatnot... icon_confused.gif

Found the homepage icon_biggrin.gifwww.carputing.com Good luck and please let us know what you learn and share with us. That's a WAY cool swap IMO and if it weren't for emissions here I'd be tempted as the 944 are pigs usually. Hrm, V8 914 anyone?

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Anonymous

looks like i found the problem! i resealled all the hoses between MAF and throttle body, also there may have been a small leak where i drilled the rubber for the IAT sensor. anyways took it for a quik spin and it runs much better! check out the pics herePorschevy Project

Guest Anonymous

Its amazing how such a small leak can effect the engine. I had looked over it several times and thought eveything looked o.k. when i resealed everything i must have caught something. thats one more check off the "BUGS" list!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

pparaska-I dont know the weight and distribution but i do plan to find out. the 4 cylinder that came out is nearly as big as the V8.

Guest super280z

glad to hear that it turned out to be something as simple as that.when you said "open" exhaust it reminded me of a buddy's 5-0 experiment to run open headers. he just couldnt fugire out why it wouldnt run right. hehe. anyway cool swap it looks really clean!

Guest Anonymous

thanks for all the compliments on the car! i still have alot of work to do-i haven't tied up any of the wires or hoses yet,i want to wait untill all is complete. i still have to run 2 a/c hoses and a few more wires under the hood. next it will be on to the rear of the car. i will be changing the transaxle and completly upgrading the suspension. at least i can play around in it a little before i get started on the rear.

davyz-yes the wheels are azev. they came with the car- i really like them. the guy ran me a line on how expensive they were? the exhaust is 2.5" with a 4" tip. the exhaust was the big mistake on the project! i just think i could have gotten a better job for less.

Porschevy Project

Something I did not ask earlier:

Is this a Renegade Hybrid kit? If not, which kit did you choose? Or, heavens to mergatroid, did you custom fab the whole thing yourself?

BTW, I have seen worse exhaust jobs. Don't beat yourself up too badly over it.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

i did purchase the kit from scott at renegade. a bit pricey but i was happy with everthing. i couldnt find anyone else that had a kit, i guess thats why he can get what he gets! me and my 11 yr old son did all the work including the wiring which i was the most afraid of doing and it turned out to be the easiest. special thanks to andrew @ AKM for programing the computer. btw i found out about andrew from this site! by doing the harness myself and akm i figure i saved 700+-!