HybridZ

Suspensions and rear ends

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello, everyone,

I'm Looking into suspension and rear end upgrades for 70's Z. I have a pet project in mind...to put a (Jag) v-12 into a Z, power output in the 300-400bhp range.

Yes I know the limitations of the jag engine, I like the look and sound. I'm not just looking for the power.

Anyway what are the common rear ends used in Z conversions? And what of front suspensions? Ideally I would like to have independant rear suspension, with disc brakes all around.

All productive input is greatly appreciated.

jeff

Well I know a stock R200 will more than handle that amount of power. A lsd out of an 87-88 300zxt will help put the power down better.

You have much more to worry about with the front. There is a guy in my Z club who dropped in a Jag V12 and watched him run high 13's in the 1/4 with no problems.

It goes well in a straight line, but that is about it. He originally had a 360 V8 mopar bored to 383 that was much faster. He did the swap just for the look as well. Well he'll be the first to admit the car now handles like a pig, and needed some serious mods to the front end to take the weight. Mods to the firewall are necessary if you want any resemblance of good handling to get that weight back as far as possible.

Good luck with the project. Are you going to go with the 6spd with the conversion?..

Whoops forgot to answer the q about diffs.

240's generally had 4spd with 3.36 R180's

280's generally had 5spds with 3.54 R200's

280zx's had r200's with 3.9's

300zxt 87-88 had lsd R200 with 3.7's

The info above is not the be all end all.. some models like 2+2 had other diffs, some 280's still ran 4 spds, early turbo cars ran 3.54's etc....

were most common ratios in Z's

you'll hear of other ratios from cars like the 200sx turbo 84-86 had 4.11's.

Other ratio's are avail, but I don't have the info handy

Some very stiff springs are going to be needed up front. Not sure what rates you may need for that kinda weight of an engine.

I'm sure someone here has more suspension info regarding large engine swaps.

Guest Anonymous

A six speed!!!! I wasn't sure there was one that would fit on a jag engine. I haven't gotten too far into this plan. I figured the weight would be the #1 problem. What is out there in the way of composite body parts etc...anything to lighten up that front end? BTW as if I wasn't asking for treouble enough as it is...my choice of induction would be a sextet of 2 barrel webbers. I can see it all now....endless weekends trying to tune and sync all those carbs. OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

you could figure out a way to really shove that motor far back into the chassis and really low, you may have some heavy steering, but it cant be that much worse than the stock motor or a v8 swap, both of which arent bad at all. you could go all out and get a whole composite front end, i mean you are trying to go nuts right?

six carbs, thats gotta be a nice sound at wot.

good luck.