HybridZ

IR LED Circuit Question

Challenger

Making a really simple circuit but have a really simple question...

Heres the plan, I have 5 IR LEDs that Id like to hook up in series with a 9V battery source. The specs on the LEDS are: forward voltage= 1.2V and forward current=100mA. I used an online calculator with this information and it showed to use a 33 ohm resistor to make it all work fine. Does this sound right? Anyone able to verify I was reading the results of the calculator correct?

Heres the website. Used the following values in order of imput, 9V, 1.2V, 100mA, 5 LEDs.

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Thanks for the help! I have my fundamentals of electrical engineering for mechanical engineers next fall so I guess Ill get to learn this stuff at some point. :)

LEDs are current controlled devices, you want to make sure they are getting the right current (in your case 100mA). When you put rated current (100mA) through your diode you will have a voltage drop (in your case 1.2V). So you want to add up all your voltage drops (5 off 1.2V = 6V). This leaves 3V that you need to drop across a load. Now you have your voltage law of V = IZ (Voltage = Current * Impedance). So to drop 3V with 100mA running through it you would run a 30 Ohm resistor. Having a 33 Ohm resistor will draw a little less current (not a bad thing as you don't want to fry your LEDs).

So a car has a 12V system, a bike a 6V system, so why would you need to build anything on 9V? HA.

I'm going to guess... 9volt battery with an array of IR LED's, he's creating a transmission array to be picked up by a sensor on some bit of robotics to sense some function. If that's the case than you could start with a 33ohm, and in the event you find you'd like a little more signal strength than you could go to a 30ohm and be safe.

Alright heres the project. A most of you know we cant see infrared light but most video cameras can. So I bought a VHS camcorder for the view finder and the camera. The plan is to some how hook up the video camera to the viewfinder and a power source and then set up a circuit of infrared LEDs and then mount it all on some sort of helmet. Also I took back the small LEDs back and am looking for something more powerful but still relatively cheap. Anyways, any comments would be helpful. Ill have to take the parts to a camera repair shop to see if he can tell me which wires are video, power, ground, etc.

Heres the gear....

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg