HybridZ

Really Loud Clattering?

VeiledLt

So I was driving my Z home on about a 60 mile trip, motor has about 400 miles since its new valves, but the motor itself has about 3000 total when I hear a loud clatter out of no where. I pulled over and let it idle, from in the cabin it sounded like a clutch spring had broken or come free and I could feel it through the shift knob and being very close to home I limped it home.

Now that I am home and have had time to somewhat inspect it is unfortunately not from the clutch. Its definitely in my engine. It sounds to me like the intake ingested a bolt and it is to big to pass by the intake valve and is clattering around in there but honestly that seems unlikely, but I'm hopeful that's all that it may be. I pulled the valve cover off and nothing seemed amiss, all rocker arm springs accounted for, no extreme cam wear that was noticeably and no gouges in the valve cover like something is getting thrown around. I'm now thinking maybe something in the water pump or in the timing cover getting brought around by the impellers or the chain?

I pulled the plugs out and fished in the cylinders with a magnet to see if maybe I could find anything and nothing. A little more info on the sound, it had NO effect on the motors running, at all sounds great other then the REALLY loud clatter, and after about a minute of steady driving it gets really really quiet but doesn't go away then if you vary the rpm range it comes back. Thank you in advance to anyone who can maybe direct me where to start or if you have had this problem before I will be eternally grateful, thank you again,

Spencer

Pay attention to the frequency of the sound in relation to the engine speed. This helps isolate the noise to the reciporcating assy, rotating assy, valve train, or timing chain/tensioners.

Check the basics, oil pressure, contaminates in oil (steel, aluminum, brass), compression test, Check for broken valve springs.

Good luck.

Well I found it. Id really rather not say because it sounds completely unrelated but I swear it sounded the same to what I described and my ear is semi well trained. I'll post it so in the event of someone else having this problem they will have another thing to check.

I pulled my car into the shop and since it was with the rotating of the engine to check exterior components first, water pump, fan etc. When I checked my belt tension I realized it was loose so in hopes that would fix it I went to adjust the slack out of it only to realize one problem, my alternator was adjusted as far out as it could go. I looked at the pulley on the alternator to realize that the pulley halves had separated from each other because... well the adjusting nut had come loose. I didn't touch the alternator during my rebuild but I suppose now I will always check it.

Thank you guys for your response and hopefully this helps someone out some day.