HybridZ

mystery wires!

Guest Mr. Big Business

Guest Mr. Big Business

I'm in the disassembling phase of my JTR conversion, and have found a couple of wires that aren't discussed in the JTR manual. In the bundle of wires going to the front lights, horn, etc, there is a black wire that was spliced into the large black wire that went to the alt. regulator (I think). Am I correct in assuming this is just a ground wire? In this picture, it's the black wire that's loosely wrapped around the mounting screw.

1043035529.192.168.0.3.jpg

Also, what's the purpose of the wire going to the brake line junction below the master cylinder?

1043035893.192.168.0.3.jpg

Thanks,

Henry

Henry, the black wire (if it has other offshoots grounded to your chassis which I suspect it does) is your main ground line for that fenderwell.

The brake wire ties into a safety signal hydraulic switch to let you know if one side (front or rear) looses brake fluid pressure so you see a red light trigger on your dash prior to figuring it out with your braking foot :eek: A prewarning to the big panic :(

• 2 weeks later...

The key to sorting out wiring is to have a good wiring diagram for the car. With a good diagram and an Volt/Ohm Meter you can trace any wire you want. The cost of a manual is cheap compared to the time it takes to create your own by testing each wire. Sometimes the only way to figure it out is to follow it from one end to the other.

- Joe

Guest Anonymous

I have hit a similar wall on my 75 280Z because the JTR manual just doesn't cover wiring as well as it should.

I separarated the harness and had no problems pulling out the headlight, turn sigs, and horn wires and putting them into a separate bundle as the JTR book says. However, that is where the fun ends and the nightmare begins!

I was shocked last summer to find that practically no one on the site had an answer to my wiring questions. As to how to keep my stock wiring in the Z without having to resort to buying an aftermarket kit. Hence, my project ground to a halt and it has been sitting in the garage for about 8 months now without me doing anything to it.

I just need to know what wires to junk and what wires to keep when wiring up the V-8. It only had about 6-8 wires going to it when I pulled it from the old Camaro.

Guest Anonymous

The wires in question on the 75 and up is the large bundle of white wires that run to a box on the pass fender well.

I have a wiring diagram but all of these wires are the same color and go practically to the same place, lol.

If it were part of the fuel injection system I would think that one could just get rid of them bonk.gif

I have been thinking of going the "hot rod" rout and buying a kit from waytek or painless. I heard about another company called "EZ wiring" or something like that.

Mr. Big, That black wire looks like someone put it there for something. On my 240 the main ground wire is to the right of the strut tower close to the frame (using your top pic) It's a very think black wire.

Z Law Man, are those white wires thick, maybe with a red band? If so that box could be your fusable links inside. Not sure, I have a 240Z. You need to trace where those white wires go too.

The best I can figure the black wires are grounds. Z Law Man I ran into the same problem you did with the wiring issue. wiring is definately not my speciality. On my 75 I spent at least a couple of weeks banging my head on the garage floor trying to figure this thing out. Most of it was due to uncertanty about what to do. The white wires with red stripes go to the fusible links and to the shunt for the amp gauge. I now have all of my wires fairly well sorted out (I think). The plan is to try to fire it up this weekend for the first time. If the wiring fries that means I got it wrong. If everything works you are welcome to come take a look at it. Wish me luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Georgia Z this is somewhat overdue but I wanted to say thank you for allowing me to check out your V-8 Z! I have a better understanding now of where the wires should go. However, when the time comes to start wiring up my engine, you may be asked to take a ride my way to lend some guidence :)

I am still currently hard at work on the rear suspension of my Z and still awaiting parts from Courtesy Nissan to finish the job. The rear cover and plugs should be here on Wednesday. I drained the old rear end fluid today and it was like syrup! Thick and nasty!

Again me and the wife had a great time visiting you folks the other night. Keep me posted on how your project is rolling along.