HybridZ

any megasquirted rb's

matthunter1448

any body got one i'm planning on doing this soon and was wondering if there is anyone i can get a decent timing and fuel map from. I am goin for the ignition edis and a crank trigger wheel for the edis. Injectors i haven't really decided yet but i'm thinkin around 800cc. Turbo either a bullseye s259 or s362. i plan on running e85 sometimes with this setup and plan on making right around 500ish so...ya.

I started to do mega squirt on my rb25. But after seeing how it all worked opted for SDS. It seemed that the megasquirt had "too many" options. I am sure all of the megasquirt guys will flame me. But the open source code allows for anyone and everyone to program for it. And for me at least, it was a little overwhelming. And the edis set up is UGLY on the front of the crank, yuck. If there was a good way to pick up crank position I probably would have stuck with it. But I decided to go SDS and I really like it. Had it on 2 engines and both started first try.

I started to do mega squirt on my rb25. But after seeing how it all worked opted for SDS. It seemed that the megasquirt had "too many" options. I am sure all of the megasquirt guys will flame me. But the open source code allows for anyone and everyone to program for it. And for me at least, it was a little overwhelming. And the edis set up is UGLY on the front of the crank, yuck. If there was a good way to pick up crank position I probably would have stuck with it. But I decided to go SDS and I really like it. Had it on 2 engines and both started first try.

sds is a good standalone but i decided megasquirt cause i'm getting the ecu for 50 bucks and i already have a old harness from one of my old setups so....... why not use it full standalone for next to nothing. Yes megasquirt is open source but thats even better in the long run more upgrades for cheaper plus i get boost control for like 40 bucks instead of spending a fortune on a boost controller + many more options. As for the edis setup in my 240sx you'll never even see it considering the radiator sits so close to the front of the motor i think there is like 3" clearance between the two. With sds didn't you have to have a crank trigger wheel too. or am i wrong?

no, SDS uses a hall effect sensor with 4 magnets drilled in the back of the crank pulley.

SDS is by no means the nicest stand alone out there. But it fit my needs, and it seemed that the cars run it are reliable and you arent always messing with it. I just don't think my ECU experience was enough that I felt comfortable with all of the things you could do with megasquirt. I wanted someone else to do thinking for me.

Sounds like you are familiar with the MS so go for it. I will for sure watch your thread to see how it turns out!

Probably the best RB standalone is the Wolf V500, which can be ordered with a harness adapter that plugs directly into the factory harness.

Yea, you can save a lot of money with Megasquirt, but be prepared for headaches. You will need to get the cam sensor working yourself, and it doesn't support sequential injection. Check msefi.com for any RB success stories.

• 5 months later...

Not purposely digging up an old thread but some interesting info on a topic that I think would be interesting to at least a few people.

I talked to Matt at DIY Auto Tune yesterday and got some good news;

"Hey Matt,

I was reading through the information on MS III but sadly didn't get an answer that I was looking for. Has there been any progress made on any kind of inherent ability to decode the nissan CAS with MS III? Thanks,

I know the MS3 has built in support for the RB CAS, but I'm not sure how well tested it has been. You may want to ask on the MSExtra.com forums and see if you can find any testers hanging out there.

Thanks,

Matt Cramer - DIYAutoTune.com Support

Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just to make sure I'm understanding this, with MS3 with proper configuration of the dual trigger input feature (which I'm assuming is carried over to MS3) one could run the stock COP in either pseudo wasted spark or perhaps completely sequential with the stock CAS disc? Also, any idea what kind of lead time you guys are looking at till you get more of the daughter board/upgrade kits for 3? Thanks again,

It should be able to do wasted spark or COP with the stock CAS. May need a little debugging. We've actually got a handful of MS3s remaining in stock after the initial order tidal wave passed over. Not sure how much longer the MS3X board will be. It might be a month or so.

Thanks,

Matt Cramer - DIYAutoTune.com Support"

Edited by 90TSIAWD