HybridZ

Moderns seats for a 76 280Z, Vancouver WA

Hardwyre

I'm looking for some seats that will fit in a '76 280z.

Right now I have a pair of cheap ebay "Racing" seats that I had in my camaro for a long time, they don't fit the Z, but other than the fabric being badly sun faded, they're fine.

I also have a pair of '08 (?) Eclipse seats with unblown airbags that I'm going to try and fit in, but I'm thinking they will be too wide as well, if not too tall. I think whoever had them before me slid them around on their backs because the plastic cases on the backs are scuffed up. I'm 6'2, and a stock 300#. But to give you an idea, with the stock Z seats, I fit in the car just fine... the Z seats are just all torn up from 34 years of use.

I've heard e30 BMW Recaros work well, Miata seats, some Porsche seats, etc.

My budget is only about $250 at this time (student), but I'm willing to trade my seats as well. The factory Eclipse seats with the air bags seem to be going for about $300-$400 right now. I'll be able to repair the scuffs and scratches by sanding the backs and spraying them with a bonding plastic dye (far better than paint).

If you live in the area (Portland, Willsonville, Woodland, Washougal, maybe even as far as Salem or Longview) and you're interested in selling or trading, or trading+cashing, let me know what you have. Thank you

Jason

I've heard e30 BMW Recaros work well, Miata seats, some Porsche seats, etc.

Jason

I'm currently working on mounting brackets for adapting Z seat rails to a set of BMW Recaro seats for my '71. Because of the seat bottom side bolsters, you can't be too wide to fit into them comfortably - otherwise, great seats. Seat width and mounting brackets always seem to be the big problems with alternative seats. Let us know what you end up installing.

Dennis

Let us know what you end up installing.

Dennis

I plan to. It would be nice is there was a 280Z-Only seat guide, as they seem to have the narrowest of seating area because of cat-converter bump and wider tranny tunnel. I can build brackets and adapter plates without issue, trying to find a seat that fits is much more difficult.

I went for a drive in a 87 e30 and those seats fit me pretty comfortably. A little snug, but otherwise nice. And the snug fit would just encourage me to keep working out and slimming down :mrgreen: