HybridZ

Readying for a R200 diff transplant into 71 240Z

OZZ240

I've just replaced my A series box with a 280ZX 5 speed and now need a new driveshaft, at some point I'm going to replace the R180 with a long nose R200 diff which means I have to use the R200 moustache bar and change out the Rear transverse link mount plus rotate the front diff mount around.

The real question is can I now use the R200 moustache bar and the R200 rear transverse link mount on a R180 diff and use the stock R180 half shafts with this combination of parts?

and

Once I have changed to the long nose R200 diff can I use the same drive shaft? (as I hope that I won't need to redo the drive shaft again!!).

At this point I will have to change my half shafts correct?

I already have the R200 moustache bar and rear transverse link mount plus a new 260Z front diff mount

Being a 71 car the existing diff is sitting in the forward position so moving it back using these parts should not be a problem but I guess I'm trying to minimize the costs of future upgrades.

Thanks

Assuming the R200 has the early style 4 bolts output flanges then yes to the stock halfshafts. Driveshaft length may or may not work. There are posts about this very subject. Originally, I had a Type-A 5-spd and relocated R180 in my '71 240Z. I put a KA 5-spd conversion and R200 in. The pinion flange needed to be changed to match a stock 280Z(?) driveshaft but the length worked out fine in my case. Take everything I say with a grain of salt though.

Thanks Mark for the grain of salt info :mrgreen:,

When I first decided to move the diff I only though that I needed to replace moustache bar but found I also needed to change the rear transverse link, which I'm still waiting for and hope that it arrives before the weekend so I can organise the new driveshaft as I'm getting Z withdrawals!!!

Cheers

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have moved the standard R180 diff back using the R200 moustache bar, R200 rear transverse link mount and front diff mount out of a 260Z which has the R200 diff.

Photos to follow

This is what I ended up doing...

I slotted the diff mounting holes in the moustache bar inward 1.5mm each side as the studs coming out of the rear cover on my R180 diff are closer together than the R200 with this done the R180 bolted up nicely to the R200 moustache bar.

The only down side is that the full and drain plugs are now close to the R200 rear transverse link mount, so would advise if you think you need to check and/or replace diff oil I would do so prior to removing your old transverse link. I checked and replaced my diff oil today and had to remove the R200 transverse link. Took about an hour to do the whole job.

While I had the opportunity a made the R200 transverse link mount adjustable before fitting it as the previous owner had made the original link mount adjustable and also had slotted the top holes on the transverse link brace, I measured between the centres of where the lower arm bush’s sit and found it to be 6.5mm wider than the R200 transverse link mount so followed their lead and did the same to the R200 link mount.

Front diff mount need to check which way I stuck that in can't remember so will come back and update this part.

Remove the diff arrester strap which holds the front of the diff from coming up and hitting the handbrake/ebrake mechanism, with the front of the diff sitting further rearward in the car the diff front drive flange/driveshaft flange would of rub constantly on this strap.

Will make something to replace it/do something similar to a Ron Tyler mount, or modify the std mount to restrict its movement will come back to this also.

Got the 280ZX 2+2 driveshaft I had shorten to fit.

I think when I convert to a R200 CLSD the driveshaft may have to be shortened or lengthened not sure on that at this time but if someone knows the length of a R200 from moustache bar to drive flange that will let me know for sure until then only time will tell.

The reason behind the diff relocation was my 5 speed A series box died so fitted a 5 speed 280ZX N/A box and was hoping when I change from a R180 to a R200 diff all the work would be done and would not be up for a second driveshaft modification.

By the why when I changed to the 280ZX gearbox I put the speedo drive from the A series box into the 280ZX box and my speedo did not work, found out that the speedo drives have different offsets from the centre of the gear to the slot on the speedo drive body and are opposite to each other so instead of cutting a new groove in the speedo drive body I removed the roll pin which holds the speedo gear and shaft in place from each of the speedo drives and swapped over the whole gear and shaft from one to the other so now I had the 280ZX speedo drive housing using a 240Z speedo gear and shaft was very easy and only took 5 minutes. I used a 2mm drill as my punch as the roll pins are 2.5mm in diameter.

Now my speedo works a treat!!!

If I have forgotten anything will update this when I add photos

Cheers

Ian