HybridZ

another 300zx dizzy swap question

WreZ

few things:

yes, i have searched my ass off on this subject so please refrain from yelling at me. Now that thats out of the way, i'm just asking for someone to give me information on what exactly is required to do this swap. From what i've heard, i need to change out drive spindle on my oil pump, and at some point i'll need to do some grinding on the dizzy... Thats about all i've got, so if somebody could point me towards a writeup or just give me any information it would be greatly appreciated. Also, i've noticed from my haynes manual (keep in mind it gives no exact measurements in its diagrams) that the NA and Turbo distributors might be able to interchange collars, can anyone confirm this? I'm not telling you guys to do the searching for me, i'm just at my wits end with this.

What are you trying to achieve exactly? Get an optical L28 (turbo) dizzy and spindle and put the Z31 chopper wheel in it, I'm fairly certain no grinding is required unless you are wanting to make a cover to run it without the dizzy cap and rotor.

Is it really that easy? i'd heard that swapping the zxt dizzy was bolt on if i get the oil pump shaft from said zxt and that if i couldn't find a shaft i could somehow grind the collar on the zxt dizzy to fit the NA oil pump shaft.

i'd been planning on adapting a 300zx dizzy to my motor for an upcoming turbo swap, people keep saying to get a turbo distributor and change out the internals but the zxt's are getting pretty hard to find these days. So i was looking at some way to adapt the 300 dizzy without needing a 280zxt dizzy and by doing something like swapping out the collars with the NA distributor i could get away with it. Sorry if i sound like i'm rambling and anyone can feel free to shut me up:mrgreen:

I have pondered that idea. Here is what I have learned... The z31 dizzy cap routes the spark plug wires out the side. Some of your wires are gonna end up hitting the thermostat housing and seriously limit your ability to clock the dizzy for timing purposes. A better option might be a dizzy from a 90+ Pathfinder or truck. Anything can be done I suppose but honestly I wouldn't even consider it unless you have some serious fabrication skill as well as tools for the job. Better to pay top dollar for a 82/83 zxt dizzy.

thanks for the honest answer gray, i was just wondering because there are a bunch of wrecked 300zx's in my local junkyard and it was always bugging me because i had heard on several occasions that the two distributors were so similar