HybridZ

SubtleZ Hood is here!

BLKMGK

Okay - anyone interested in pics and a tech article on this puppy? It's bolted on but required a bit of work and I've got more work to do. No paint yet but I can give you some ideas as to what needs to be done and some close ups of the hood. I can also provide info on issues I've run into but I think it's goingto turn out VERY nice.

Anyone interested in this? We got room for another tech article :-)

P.S. No latch. Mikelly is suggesting Dsuz and I'm considering it. I think it's a fine idea anyway. Pins would be cake. Guess I've not got a latch mount to worry about down the road huh? Anyone got some ZX hood vents for sale?

Guest tom sixbey

I'd love to see a tech article on it.. - i was considering the subtle Z kit for a very long time, and i'm still intrested in that hood.. - let us know what you come up with!

------------------

Tom 6B (73NIC)

"why slam on the brakes when you can slam on the gas?"

It's mocked up on the car right now. Needs a long body file taken to the sides of it and possibly to th eback to give it some room. Have pics already taken and just need to juggle the shims a touch to get it just right. Paint will be next week perhaps, chassis guys get the car this coming Friday for a rework of the main hoop. May hold off on reinstalling the interior until the bumpers and hood are done. I'll try to write it up this week.

Ah, you're correct about the vents and thank you for the correction - whew!

Shipping was a bit of a problem since they wanted to charge John a fairly great amount. However he had a discussion with the manager of the shipping company and they lowered the price by about half. It still wasn't cheap and crating was $60 but for just a hair over $400 it's here in one piece with ZERO shipping damage.

I did ineed remove the springs. I'd intended to simply weaken them with a torch and may yet do so but not yet. If you don't remove the springs you'll get a pretty alarming bow in the middle of the hood - most uncool! Weaker springstorsion rods ought to work or I may simply put a pin through the hing joint to support it (shrug).

I'll try to do the article this week but my chassis shop date is sneaking up on me - Friday. I DO have some pics already and will try to take more. Note that it's NOT painted, nor has it been trimmedfiled, and that I don't have the vents yet.

John did send me some tips today including some on how it's supposed to be installed that he'd forgotten before - things are hectic out his way. He also explained why the hood was slightly wider than stock - this is intentional. All in all he's been a pleasure to work with and I'd buy from him again. I'll do the article ASAP and include painted pictures down the road when that's done...

P.S. He says the stock latch can be made to work too. I need to look at this as I'm most comfortable with two latches :-) We'll see!

Guest Anonymous

I have a subtle Z hood on my car and love the way it looks especially from the inside. I used a flush mount hood pin in the center of the bracing under the scoop down to a modified bracket in the JTR configuration. Works good and doesn't interfere with the looks of the hood.

Hawk - you're using a single pin to hold the hood on? I'm not sure I'm that brave to be honest but I'll take a look at it. John did mention that a stock latch can be fitted so i may do that with the possible addition of pins or Dzus.

Take a look at this month's Hot Rod on th enewsstand - Mike Kelly especially. They've got shots of cars on the strip that are deforming due to wind resistance. Glass hoods especially have problems and I know several Mustang guys that have hoods fly off that just used th estock latch. I myself have had two steel hoods flip back on me (don't ask - it was driver error). Granted - the Z hood won't flip back but it will rise up and block vision badly!

BTW - hood article may take a bit longer. Surprise call by the chassis shop - it's getting work done NOW. Took it over hoodless - people gawked and stared. It's just three Webbers - so far :-)

Hawk, I'd be VERY interested in how your hood is wearing and any install tips you picked up. I'm looking forward to getting it painted and setup soon. Want to do the glass bumpers at the same time too...

Just an incident of mine I would like to share. I was piloting my 350 260Z in a "break in drive" when at about 75 miles an hour under W.O.T. the hood started to lift an squeeze up in the middle. It was windy but it was mostly due to windy conditions and a loose hood adjustment. It seems there is a lot of under hood pressure due to the front end having a wide open mouth in which to swallow more air than it can dispurse. I now have a hole in my hood from the tunnel ram so this is no longer a concern. Just a tip. Careful it may bite you in the azz.

------------------

Drewz

Thanks John, I am looking at those. I wondered if they were any good - do they rust at all? At least I'd be able to get rid of the scuff plates and such - icky. I hope to get it to the bodyshop next week so I've got to decide soon!

Thanks man!

P.S. Hey, check these out! -> http://sportscar-parts.com/mivastore/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=www.sportscar-parts.com&Product_Code=SP1606

[This message has been edited by BLKMGK (edited September 14, 2000).]

• 5 weeks later...

I'm sorry I've been so slow on this! I DO have some pics but the job isn't finished yet. Car is currently at the bodyshop getting the hood fitted and the paint done on it and the bumpers. Going to have the windshield replaced while it's over there too.

Hood looks good but it's made such that it must be fitted to each car - it's slightly wider than stock. One edge of mine wasn't quite straight but a bodywork longboard will fix that right up in no time. Has been in the shop just over two weeks with no progress but they tell me that next week is the week - they got busy in a hurry and my car is there on the "friend plan" so I'm not bitching :-) Pics when it's back and since I just got DSL I may be able to host them myself!

I looked at the website and pics weren't too clear. What is the main changes on this hood? it's made of fiberglass and it has a slightly raised centre portion? Is that right? Does the centre portion stay raised at the base of the windshield for a cowl effect? How high above the normal 'seam' does it rise? I'd love to see some pics, I've been thinking of having a similar one made by a local metal craftsman who was interested.

It does indeed "rise" at the back of th ehood and you WILL get a cowl effect from it - most of the reason I got it was to remove heat from under the hood! It's also got the ZX vents and I'll be putting in stock ones to start with. I found a place that makes replacement vents with a NACA scoop but they've yet to provide me a price (sigh). Rise at the back isn't real high and it doesn't seem to interfere with vision of the front left corner like my Mustang cowl hood does. Car is at the bodyshop now so it'll be a bit before I have "after" pics.

'zat help? I've got some "before" pics but no place to host them 'tll I set up a server here. Can send a few if you'd like...