HybridZ

rust what do i do

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok i have a 72 that has surface rust on the rims of the wheel well. which i believe can just be sanded and primered and painted when i get the car painted. i also have a section right under passenger seat at the rear of that frame rail. its as wide as the rail and about 4 or 5 inches long. i can see from inside the car to the ground only in that spot. everything else is solid. what should i do to fix that.

thanks

Guest Anonymous

Zlett,

The only way to properly repair the area is to cut out all of the old rusty sheet metal and replace with new sheet metal...Ok, you already knew that part...

Once you get the rusty sheet metal cut out you can cut a new piece of sheet metal and weld it into place. There are several arguments about butt welding the panel into place v. overlapping the panels (cutting the replacement panel slightly larger, welding it into place and then grinding it down the welds). If you are trying to get the car back to original and make it look really good butt welding is the way to go. If you are not concerned with getting it back to the original look then overlapping is fine. A few words of caution regarding overlapping though, the two metals overlapping will accelerate rust if moisture and air are able to get in between. You can try and paint the pieces of sheet metal with weld through primer first. If you decide to go with the overlap method you should seam weld all of the open seams to seal it off from the elements.

The method I used is really a combination of the two. I cut 1" wide strips of sheet metal and welded them from the interior of the car so that 1/2" was on the existing sheet metal and the other 1/2" was protruding out into the "hole". I then fit the replacement panel from the underside of the car. The replacement panel then fits flush with the underside of the car. I then went back and seam welded everything. This made it much easier to weld as burn through is all but eliminated. I was not concerned with putting the car back to the "factory" look and the strips of sheat metal will be covered with heat barrier and interior carpets.

I hope this helps and good luck...

Chris