HybridZ

clutch works, can start car in gear and let off the clutch to start but can't shift

FiveSeventyZee

As the title says I can't shift. I thought it was the clutch first so I tried pushing down the clutch and putting it in gear before starting the engine. I started it in 1st and it started fine with no lurching of any kind. I was able to idle without moving and let off the clutch to move the car and when I pressed the clutch i was able to stop the car and return to idle. The same thing happened in reverse. However, while in gear with the engine running I can't shift into a new gear. I can get out of the gear I'm in but I can't get it out of neutral.

I do have to push the clutch down all the way and it engages/disengages very close to the floor. Could this cause my problem? I'm thinking it might disengage the clutch plates enough to not spin the wheels but not enough for me to switch gears?

My car is a '72 with an 89 Chevy small block (305 or 350, not sure, it came with the car and I haven't gotten around to identifying it) and a Borg Warner wc T5. I'm not sure what clutch slave and master I have because the PO did the swap but I do know the slave is a push type and it does move when I push the clutch pedal.

It's likely in the hydraulics. Either the fluid is low, the MC or SC are failing or the setup is maladjusted. What you didn't provide is any information regarding the clutch prior to this problem. Did you just get this car? Did the clutch ever work? Did you replace anything and the problem appear? It's hard to offer any real suggestions without more data.

• 2 weeks later...

There should be about 50 to 60 thousands clearance ( thats about the thickness of a penny) between the throw out bearing and the clutch fingers. You usually adjust that clearance with the fork ball pivot. Heres a link that might explain better what i'm talking about>http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/files/Clutch_Linkage_Installation_Tips.pdf