HybridZ

exhaust ping

enix187

83 280zx 2+2 l28 bone stock, recent purchase. Just replaced the intake/exhaust gasket, all bolts torqued to speck, had to replace the injectors too. It has a fresh tune up, and i just gaped the plugs to find a misfire. Now on to the question, in first gear, with a normal take off, there is about three to four hollow metallic pings from the exhaust behind me. The car is also a little lacking in power (as far as i know). Im just looking for suggestions on where to look for this noise.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently replaced the cat and exhaust on my car. Header and front pipe remained. Then I also experienced a rattling noise only at certain speeds. Mine occurred at speeds over 55mph, when lifting off the throttle. But not always. When the installation was done the mechanic told me there IS enough clearance between the exhaust pipe and the prop shaft and the exhaust and rear end is so tight nothing will move. Well, it turned out the car needed at least one inch of clearance. At certain speeds, under power, or lifting the throttle, on these cars the inline 6 engine tilt slightly to one side. Does not matter how tight you think the exhaust is fitted, it will shift and vibrate with the engine. In my case the scuff marks could be seen where the exhaust was hitting the prop shaft U joint, just before the rear differential attachment. The mechanic also told me often the cats on the old cars could start breaking apart inside, the loose pieces inside could also make a rattling noise (occasionally you will hear it). Hope this helps to indicate a place to look for what may cause your troubles. My problem was solved by adjusting the exhaust fittings.

Narrowed it down, I believe its a valve problem now. I have replaced the intake exhaust gasket and checked the clearance on the pipes. Seems to be more in the vavles. They're terribly out of adjustment, its currently a diesel :icon55:, hoping when I get them dialed in it will go away or atleast calm down. Worst case the PO burned up a valve when the gasket blew out. Hoping and praying thats not the case. I don't think it would run as good as it does in the high revs with a burnt valve though.

• 2 weeks later...