HybridZ

trim

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

How do you remove the drip rails without destroying them?

What about the trim around windshield and hatch that's embedded in the rubber gasket?

And the little badges that cover the vents behind the side windows?

Drip rails: Put a wooden stick between the body and the rear end of the drip rail moulding and pull out and up. Once it starts, slowly work forward.

Windshield and Rear window trim: That's really best done after you take the window out of the car, if that's what you are going to do ultimately. That way, you can flex the rubber and the trim comes out. If you aren't taking the glass/gasket out, then you have to dig with a screwdriver. Start by taking the corners out. Then SLOWLY and EASILY pry the straightish parts from the ends. This stuff bends (permanently) very easily and if it does, it's very hard to get the dent out of it. Thinking of painting it black or something?

Badges on sail panels: Wooden stick under the edge of the emblem. Go in diamentrically opposed places, and where the posts are that hold it in (not sure where they are, left and right I think.

Guest Anonymous

I was thinking about making the trim flat black...... How would you paint that silly stainless to make it stick anyhow? I'm not sure though.....

Come next week when I pick up my new pair of doors(70-72 doors without the lame door beams of 73, so lighter!) I'll have a multi-colored car anyhow......

So just pry the vent covers off?

What about the hood emblem and the 'datsun' emblem on the front fenders?

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

Guest Fast Frog

Another way to remove the metal window trim, if you're going to replace the window gasket anyway,is to use a sharp exacto knife. Actually cut into the old rubber parallel the metal trim but an 1/8 to 1/4 inch to each side and peel back the rubber on each side. The metal trim then slips out real easy without bending or warping.

Guest Anonymous

Any opinions on the vic. british. trim kit?

Obviously not OE rubber.... I've heard complaints about it. Is it really that bad or just user error?

I was gonna get a new windshield(got a wiper scratch and a rock chip right in my line of sight) and replace it and seal together and rust-proof the windshield hole. Then replace all the other rubber as it's all in horrible shape.

Is the weatherstrip cement really necessary? I'd like to avoid gluing it so I can remove it later for painting without tearing it up.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

I think if you rough up the stainless and hit it with some self-etching primer, then use the SEM brand blackout paint for this purpose, it works pretty good. Then again, powder coating would probably be best. I was considering powdercoating the window frames in the doors and those emblems and just leaving out windshield and rear window trim, possibly cutting the lips off the gasket that hold in the trim. My bumpers and door handles are going to be body color.

I think you'll need some cement or sealer on the windshield and rear glass gaskets or you'll have leaks for sure. How about that messy black windshield sealer that doesn't cure? It's no fun to clean up but at least it comes off with mineral spirits. The Gorilla snot stuff breaks down well with Naptha though.

As far as the vent cover emblems, I've actually had them just fall of on a exit ramp before wink.gif. I think the only other way to get them off would be to put a wire through the center and yank on it. The wooden stick (paint stirrer, etc.) worked for me though. They have a spring clip on the studs that stick into the car.

Thanks Pete! You just solved a problem for me. My whales tail is bonded on to the hatch with windshield epoxy/urethane. (?) It certainly feels like the Gorilla snot stuff to me, I tried for about an hour to seperate the 2 without luck. Lets dissolve that stuff...

I was considering getting some etching primer on my stainless trim and then using black POR-15 on it. (with the bumpers and door handles painted the same colour as the body)

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html